Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

[00:00:01]

>> GOOD EVENING.

[1. Call to Order]

THE TIME IS 6:00 PM.

LET US PLEASE COME TO ORDER FOR A CALLED MEETING OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES.

LIKE THE RECORD SHOW THAT ALL TRUSTEES ARE PRESENT EXCEPT KEZIAH FARRAR.

WE WILL NOW MOVE ON TO CLOSED SESSION.

[3. Closed Session (Part 1 of 2)]

WE WERE ADJOURN PURSUANT TO TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE 551.074 PERSONNEL AND TO DELIBERATE REGARDING THE APPOINTMENT, EMPLOYMENT EVALUATION, REASSIGNMENT DUTIES, DISCIPLINE, OR DISMISSAL OF A PUBLIC OFFICER OR EMPLOYEE, OR TO HEAR A COMPLAINT OR CHARGE AGAINST AN OFFICER OR EMPLOYEE, INCLUDING THE SUPERINTENDENT'S EVALUATION AND CONTRACT, 551.071 CONSULTATION WITH THE BOARD'S ATTORNEY, AND 551.072 REAL PROPERTY.

WE WILL NOW ADJOURN INTO CLOSED SESSION AT 6:00 PM AND WE'LL RECONVENE IN SIX MINUTES. THANK YOU.

GOOD EVENING. WE WILL NOW RECONVENE FROM CLOSED SESSION AT 7:44 PM.

[4. Reconvene (Part 1 of 2)]

PLEASE, JOIN ME AS WE RISE FOR THE PRAYER LED BY SCHOOL MEMBER KAREN MARCUCCI,

[5. Meeting Opening]

AND THE PRESENTATION OF COLORS NOT SO MUCH IN THE PLEDGES LED BY DESERET THOMAS.

>> BOW YOUR HEADS, PLEASE.

GOOD AND GRACIOUS GOD, THANK YOU FOR BLESSING US WITH SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DAY AND THE OPPORTUNITY TO GATHER AGAIN.

MAY YOU BE WITH THOSE THAT CAN'T BE WITH US TONIGHT, AND BRING THEM BACK TO US NEXT WEEK SAFELY.

WE ASK THAT YOU OPEN OUR MINDS AND OUR HEARTS AS WE MOVE FORWARD WITH TRAINING TONIGHT.

MAY YOU SHOW US THE BEST WAYS WE CAN HONOR YOU AND SERVE OUR STUDENTS AND STAFF SO THAT THEY CAN LIVE UP TO THEIR POTENTIAL.

WE ALSO ASK THAT YOU HELP OUR STUDENTS AND STAFF AS THEY UNDERGO TESTING, AND WRAP UP THE SCHOOL YEAR.

MAY THEY FEEL THE PEACE THAT ONLY YOU CAN PROVIDE, IN YOUR SON'S HOLY NAME, AMEN.

>>

>> ONE BRIEF NOTE HERE, I DID WANT TO MENTION THAT RANDALL KENNEDY HAD TO STEP OUT FOR AN EMERGENCY.

I'M NOT SURE IF HE'LL BE REJOINING US THIS EVENING OR NOT, BUT AS FAR AS ATTENDANCE, JULIE YOU'LL MAKE SURE WE DOCUMENT THAT.

>> IT'S OKAY.

>> THIS MOVES US ON TO AGENDA ITEM 6.1, PUBLIC COMMENTS.

[6. Public Comment]

THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR ADDRESSING THE BOARD DURING PUBLIC COMMENTS IS AS FOLLOWS.

EACH SPEAKER SHOULD ADDRESS THE BOARD FROM THE PODIUM MICROPHONE, AND STATE HIS OR HER NAME BEFORE SPEAKING.

ALL SPEAKERS WILL BE LIMITED TO THREE MINUTES TO MAKE COMMENTS REGARDING ITEMS ON THE AGENDA UNLESS MODIFIED BY THE BOARD PRESIDENT BASED ON BOARD POLICY BED LOCAL.

COPIES OF PRESENTATION SHOULD BE MADE AVAILABLE TO ALL TRUSTEES AND THE SUPERINTENDENT.

BOARD POLICY PROHIBITS THE DISCUSSION OF COMPLAINTS AGAINST DISTRICT EMPLOYEES DURING AN OPEN FORUM.

AT THIS TIME, I HAVE ONE CARD FOR THIS EVENING.

CHRIS MCNEIL, AM I SAYING THAT RIGHT? YOU MAY STAND.

>> HELLO, EVERYONE. MY NAME IS CHRIS MCNEIL, WITH THOSE BUS DEPARTMENT.

WHAT I WANTED TO TALK TO YOU ALL ABOUT, I DON'T KNOW WHETHER THIS IS THE RIGHT FORUM.

I HAVE NOT BEEN HERE BEFORE, BUT I DO WANT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT THE MORALE WITHIN A DEPARTMENT.

I THINK THAT YOU HAVE SOME INFLUENCE OVER THIS WITH THE FACT THAT WE HEAR FROM OUR MANAGEMENT THAT SAYS THAT WE ARE THE STEPCHILDREN OF THIS DISTRICT, AND WE GET NOTHING FOR IT, AND THAT'S A HARD THING TO LIVE WITH.

IT'S VERY UNSATISFIED FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE AND OUR MORALE IN OUR DEPARTMENT HAS DROPPED SO TREMENDOUSLY THIS YEAR BECAUSE WE DON'T FEEL SUPPORTED BY ANYBODY, NOT OUR MANAGEMENT, NOT ANYONE.

WE DON'T HAVE ANY INTERACTION FOR STUDENT TEACHING.

WE ALLOW OUR STUDENTS TO HIT US, DO THINGS WRONG, AND THEY'RE NOT EVEN PUNISHED THREE OR FOUR TIMES BEFORE THEY EVEN GET ANYTHING.

DURING THAT TIME, IT'S BRINGING OUR MORALE DOWN AS A DEPARTMENT, AND OUR LEADERSHIP IS SO THAT WE FEEL THAT WE'RE BEING LIED TO ALL THE TIME.

WE'RE BEING SHOVED AWAY BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TIME TO WORRY ABOUT THESE THINGS.

IT'S SOMETHING I THINK THE BOARD NEEDS TO HEAR ABOUT.

THAT'S WHY I DECIDED TO COME HERE TO TALK ABOUT THE MORALE OF THAT DEPARTMENT.

I THINK WE NEED TO OPEN THE EYES OF THIS BOARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR INFLUENCE OVER OUR DEPARTMENT IS VERY, VERY IMPORTANT.

[00:05:05]

THAT'S ALL I WANTED TO SAY.

I HAD SOME OTHER STUFF, BUT I KNOW THAT I CAN'T TALK ABOUT ANYTHING PERSONAL.

I'M NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT THAT, I HAVE A GRIEVANCE ALREADY FILED AND I'LL TAKE CARE OF IT THERE.

BUT I DO WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THE MORALE WITHIN THIS AREA IS VERY SCARY, AND I'D LIKE TO SEE SOMETHING DONE ABOUT IT. THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH. AGENDA ITEM 7.1,

[7. Business Items Requiring Board Action ]

BUSINESS ITEMS REQUIRING BOARD ACTION.

CONSIDER APPROVAL FOR THE HUMAN RESOURCES REPORT.

DR. CANTU, DO YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION OR DR. STALKER?

>> YES, I DO. THANK YOU. WE'D LIKE TO ASK YOUR CONSIDERATION THIS EVENING IN APPROVING TWO ADMINISTRATIVE TRANSFERS.

WE'RE ASKING YOUR CONSIDERATION IN APPROVING MIGUEL GARZA FOR THE POSITION OF PRINCIPAL AT THE PHOENIX ACADEMY.

MR. GARZA IS CURRENTLY THE ACADEMIC ASSOCIATE AT TIMBER VIEW, AND ALSO ELIZABETH GRANTHAM TO BE OUR NEW COORDINATOR OF HEALTH SERVICES.

SHE'S CURRENTLY A HEALTH SERVICES NURSE, AND SHE'S WORKED IN A PRIVATE INDUSTRY AS AN RN AS WELL.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

MAY I, PLEASE, RECEIVE A MOTION.

>> SO MOVE.

>> I SECOND.

>> MISS THOMAS.

MS. MARCUCCI, ANY OTHER QUESTIONS FROM ANYONE ON THE BOARD? SEEING NONE. ALL THOSE IN FAVOR OF THE MOTION, PLEASE, USE THE SOUND VOTE OF AYE.

>> AYE.

>> ALL THOSE OPPOSED, SAY NO.

MOTION PASSES.

WHAT ARE WE? WE'RE FIVE TONIGHT.

[LAUGHTER] MY LITTLE NOTES WERE WRONG.

MOVING ON TO OUR WORK SESSION FOR THIS EVENING.

[8. Work Session]

BOARD GOVERNANCE TRAINING. DR. CANTU, DO YOU WANT TO INVITE OUR LOVELY GUESTS?

>> I WOULD LOVE TO, I WOULD LIKE TO LOOK AT THE CRICKET RIGHT HERE IN FRONT OF ME FOR A SECOND AND MAKE THEM GO AWAY.

[LAUGHTER] NOW, I WOULD LIKE TO INVITE. [LAUGHTER]

>> THIS IS YOUR ENTERTAINMENT FOR TONIGHT?

>> YOUR ENTERTAINMENT. [LAUGHTER] SORRY.

THAT SHOCKED ME THERE.

I WOULD LIKE TO INVITE HARLEY TIG TO, PLEASE, COME FORWARD AND HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH US AS A TEAM OF EIGHT RELATED TO BOARD GOVERNANCE.

MISS. TIG, TAKE YOUR WAY.

>> IF I STEP OUT, CAN YOU HEAR, WILL THAT BE OKAY?

>> YES.

>> THE TOPIC IS WORK EVIDENCE.

WHEN I TALK ABOUT BOARD GOVERNANCE, I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE TEAM OF EIGHT, [INAUDIBLE] THE QUESTION IS, THERE ARE TWO QUESTIONS. ARE YOU AT THE BOARD?

>> YES.

>> THE SECOND QUESTION I'LL ASK YOU IS, HOW [LAUGHTER] [INAUDIBLE], I WILL TALK [INAUDIBLE].

IT'S A NATIONAL QUALITY PROGRAM, IT STARTED IN 1986, '86, '87 IN THE WRITING INSTRUCTION.

THEN, THEY TRY TO HONOR THE [INAUDIBLE] ORGANIZATION.

IT FIRST STARTED ACTUALLY WITH BUSINESS AND THE PATIENT BED.

THIS IS WHAT IT TALKS ABOUT GOVERNANCE [INAUDIBLE] AND BRINGING THAT OUT TO YOU.

GOVERNANCE ACCORDING TO [INAUDIBLE], ANYTHING THAT HAS [INAUDIBLE] LOCAL GOVERNMENT, FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, [INAUDIBLE] IN ADDITION TO HOW THE GOVERNMENTS WILL DRAG CONTROL YOUR ORGANIZATION TO ENSURE NUMBER 1, ACCOUNTABILITY OF STAKEHOLDERS, TWO, TRANSPARENCY OF OPERATIONS, AND THREE FAIR TREATMENT OF ALL STAKEHOLDERS.

KEEP THAT IN MIND AS WE TRAIN TONIGHT.

THEY TALKED ABOUT ORGANIZATIONS EITHER LEAD TO IT NOT NECESSARILY CONSIDERED [INAUDIBLE] THEY ARE MATURE AS IN THE MATURITY OF THE ORGANIZATION, AND I DESCRIBE IT AS THE FOUR LEVELS.

I'M GOING TO GIVE YOU SOME VISUALS TO TALK ABOUT ORGANIZATIONS FIRSTHAND THAT [INAUDIBLE] THEY'RE CONSIDERED REALLY STRATEGY THAT TALK ABOUT ACTIVITIES [INAUDIBLE] STRATEGY RATHER THAN PROCESSES AND SET LARGELY RESPONSIVE.

I'M GOING TO TELL YOU THAT NOW REMEMBER THAT THIS IS ACTUALLY WRITTEN ENGLISH IN '87,

[00:10:02]

'84, BUT REALLY PART OF THAT WHICH ARE LISTED ACTIVITIES CHECK, THIS ONE, CHECK, THIS ONE, CHECK THIS ONE.

THE NEXT LEVEL OF MATURITY IS THAT YOU'D SEE THOSE RANDOM ACTS OF IMPROVEMENT.

YOU'VE GOT THEM GOING IN THE SAME DIRECTION.

MAYBE NOT ALL, THEY AREN'T ANYMORE.

YOU'RE STARTING ON SUB-PROCESSES, AND YOU'RE BEGINNING TO CARRY OUT WITH REPEATABLE PROCESSES, EVALUATION, AND IMPROVEMENT.

THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF HANDLING THE PROCESS AND I CAN TELL YOU IN MY OPINION, I COULD GET STARTED.

[INAUDIBLE] WHERE PEOPLE STARTED USING THE SAME LANGUAGE AS YOU ALL KNOW, WE SAW [INAUDIBLE].

THE PROCESSES THEY'RE THERE, THEY'RE REPEATABLE.

LEARNING ARE SHARED, AND THERE IS COORDINATION AND THEN ORGANIZATIONAL UNITS.

THIS ITEM WILL BE TWO EXAMPLES OF [INAUDIBLE] VISION 2030.

NOW, THIS IS WRITTEN IN GERMANY, AND THEN I'M GOING TO GIVE ME GLOVES [INAUDIBLE] AREAS WITH THESE AMAZING.

I THINK THAT IT WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED FOR SCHOOL DISTRICTS AND LOW-PERFORMING IN VERY POOR STUDENT OUTCOMES.

WE SHOULDN'T TAKE IT NEUTRAL VACCINE TO JOIN ME IN THAT, THE GENRE OF CREDIBILITY TO THE PROCESS AND THERE WERE LOTS OF DISTRICTS AND SCHOOL BOARDS [INAUDIBLE].

THIS IS PERSONAL.

[INAUDIBLE] YOU ARE AT A HIGHER LEVEL OF MATURITY, THEN THE PROCESS IS TO FOLLOW CHART GOVERNANCE OR HOW DO YOU THINK? I THINK THEY WERE GOOD, BUT IT WAS NOT ALIGNED WITH THE CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROCESS THAT THE DISTRICT WAS DOING.

THERE WAS TWO DIFFERENT CATEGORIES.

THAT'S OFTEN NOT NECESSARY IN HERE.

THIS IS THE MOST MATURE LEVEL OF ORGANIZATION BECAUSE EVERYBODY IS GOING TOGETHER AND THEY ARE ALIGNED.

THE SYSTEMS ARE ALIGNED.

REPEATABLE PROCESS IS REGULARLY EVALUATED FOR CHANGE AND IMPROVEMENT WITH COLLABORATION WITH OTHER AFFECTED UNITS.

EFFICIENCIES, ANALYSIS, INNOVATION, SHARING OF INFORMATION AND PROCESSING MEASURES TRACK PROGRESS ON KEYS STRATEGIC AND OPERATIONAL GOALS.

I THINK THAT THAT IS WHERE YOU GOT A PRETTY AMAZING STRATEGIC PLAN WITH YOUR VISION 2030.

TONIGHT, WE'RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT YOUR INPUT INTO WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE.

I'M GOING TO PUT THIS OUT THERE, AND YOU GOT ME SAY COLLEAGUE, HEY, IF WE DON'T LIKE IT, YOU LIKE PART OF IT.

LET'S THINK ABOUT IT.

YOU WILL HAVE TIME TO TALK IN ANY [INAUDIBLE] I WOULD SAY SOMETHING SEVEN.

THIS ACTUALLY WAS FOUR.

THAT'S THE IMPROVEMENT PROCESS.

YOU CAN SEE THAT THE DISTRICTS ALIGN WITH THE DEPARTMENTS, ALIGN WITH THE CAMPUSES.

THIS IS WHAT I WILL BRING TO YOU TONIGHT.

YOU CAN SEE THE ALIGNMENT.

BUT THAT SIDE IS HOW'S THE DISTRICT DOING, ON THIS SIDE IS HOW THE BOARD IS DOING.

THE BOARD HAS TO FOLLOW-UP ACROSS OF THE DISTRIBUTION VALUES.

THERE IS A TIME WHEN WE TALKED ABOUT AND I THINK THAT YOU NEED TO ADOPT YOUR OWN SELF-BELIEFS AS A BOARD, WE WILL DO THIS.

LOOK ONE OF THE BOARD GOALS.

THEN PART OF THOSE MEASURES, ARE YOU ACCOMPLISHING THOSE GOALS? YOU HAVE A SCORECARD, IT'S THE BOARD'S SCORECARD, AND ACTUALLY WHAT THEY EVEN LOOK AT, AND THEN ACTION PLANS AND THEN NEXT COA? YOU ALL HAVE OPERATED UNDER COA.

YOU'VE DONE THE INFLUENCE OF GOVERNANCE FOR A WHILE.

>> I JUST HAVE A QUESTION AS WE GET STARTED WITH THIS.

ONE OF THE THINGS THAT, AND I MAYBE JUMPING DOWN A LITTLE BIT, IS THAT LIKE THE IMPROVEMENT PROCESS THAT WE KNOW, WE CAN SEE WITH GUIDANCE STATEMENTS, WHERE THE ARROWS ARE, THE DEPARTMENT GOALS, AND JUST GOALS, ALL THAT STUFF.

WHERE DID THE ARROWS OF THE BOARD GO TO CURRENT IMPROVEMENT PROCESS?

>> CAN YOU CALL IT IF WE GO TO THE YOUR SCORECARD MEASURING?

>> YEAH, IT'S OKAY. I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT WE GOT [OVERLAPPING]

>> ANNUALLY YOU STILL REVIEW THE DISTRIBUTION VALUE, THE VALUE STATEMENTS, THE MEASURE OF ANNUAL GOALS, YA'LL STILL DO THAT.

I THINK YOU DID NOVEMBER OF LAST YEAR WHERE YOU WENT TO EVERY CAMPUS IN EVERY COMMUNITY WITH THEIR CAMPUSES [INAUDIBLE].

YOU STILL LOOK FOR THOSE AVERAGE ANNUALLY.

THEN YOU WOULD REVIEW YEARLY DISTRICT DEPARTMENT INDIVIDUAL SCORECARDS.

THAT'S STILL THOSE ROLE,

[00:15:03]

AS THAT IS PART OF A POLICY THAT WE HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED AS DIVINED IN LAW CODE.

BUT THAT'S THE PART THAT YA'LL STILL HAVE A PART, BUT THE PART OVER HERE IS THE MODULE.

I PROMISE YOU, YOU'LL GET THERE.

I DIDN'T SHOW THE AGENDA AT THE BEGINNING BECAUSE I WANTED YOU TO SEE THAT GRAPHIC.

I THINK TONIGHT, AND I DON'T HAVE A WATCH, SO SEAN, YOU'RE GOING TO TELL ME WHEN I NEED A BREAK THERE.

>> WE DON'T REALLY HAVE A TIME IN IT, BUT WE NEED [OVERLAPPING].

>> BUT I THINK THAT WE NEED TO GET THROUGH BOARD GOALS.

I THINK THAT WE NEED TO TOUCH ON THE SCORECARD, YOU WALK INTO IT A LITTLE BIT.

THEN I THINK THAT I WANT YOU TO START READING ABOUT BOARD BELIEFS.

THAT'S REALLY THE AGENDA FOR TONIGHT.

THIS IS PUT AS A STRONG MAN, JUST TOTALLY AS A DRAFT, JUST A SUGGESTION.

I'M GOING TO LOOK AT IT SO YA'LL ALL GET A NEEDS ASSESSMENT DATA IN MARCH AND APRIL.

HOPEFULLY YOU'RE GOING TO TURN IN YOUR ANNUAL GOALS AS A BOARD, NOT THE DISTRICT, OF YOUR BOARD ANNUAL GOAL.

[BACKGROUND] CREATE THOSE, MAKE A CONSULTANT, THE BELIEFS, A SCORECARD, APPROVE SCORECARD, CREATE A SUPT EVALUATION, DETERMINE ACTIONS TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP, BOARD ACTION PLAN OVER THERE.

JULY/AUGUST, APPROVE SUPT EVALUATION, CREATE A PROCESS FOR THE COA AND BEGIN THE COA.

THAT'S WHERE IT GOES.

YOU TOOK A SURVEY AND THAT SURVEY WAS PART OF THE FRAMEWORK FOR SCHOOL BOARD DEVELOPMENT THROUGH TEA, IT WAS APPROVED BY THE STATE BOARD.

[INAUDIBLE] [NOISE] STATE BOARD DID THAT.

CAN YOU CLICK ON THE STAR UP THERE? THE BLUE STAR.

>> YEAH. IT'S SAYING, YOU CAN'T OPEN THE SPECIFIED FILE.

>> OKAY. I'LL GET IT. I'LL GET THAT DOWN.

THERE'S A DOCUMENT THAT'S THE FRAMEWORK FOR BOARD DEVELOPMENT.

IT SHOULD BE THE SECOND NEWEST ONE.

I WANTED TO STAY ON THAT BECAUSE I TOOK YOUR LUNCH ON GOVERNANCE, AND I'M RUSHING WITH THAT AND THERE ARE SOME THAT AREN'T IN IT.

I HIGHLIGHTED WHICH ONES THOSE ARE BECAUSE I THINK THAT'S A REALLY GOOD MEASURES IN THERE IF YOU NEED TO CONSIDER.

BUT THERE ARE FIVE AREAS, VISION AND GOALS, SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES, PROGRESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY, ADVOCACY AND ENGAGEMENT, SYNERGY AND TEAMWORK.

THOSE ARE THE FIVE AREAS THAT YOU DID.

LOOKING AT COHESIVELY AS A BOARD, THE BOARD'S PROGRESSION ARE MORE [INAUDIBLE] INDIVIDUALLY, BUT AS THE BOARD WHERE I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS, NO, NOT YET, WE'VE THOUGHT ABOUT IT, YES, THIS IS SOMETHING WE DO, ABSOLUTELY.

I'M GOING TO TEACH A CLASS ON THIS. HERE ARE THE RESULTS BY THE BIG THINGS.

CAN YOU ENGAGE US THERE? [LAUGHTER]

>> YEAH.

>> THANK YOU. DID I MESS YOU UP?

>> OH NO, SORRY.

>> THERE YOU GO. THAT'S WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE.

IT'S OVERALL. EVERYTHING WAS A 3, 4, 5.

THEY WEREN'T HELPING ANYONE [INAUDIBLE] BECAUSE THE WORK THAT YOU GUYS HAVE DONE IN THE PAST, I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY YEARS.

YOU CAN SEE STATISTICALLY, INSIGNIFICANT BETWEEN ONE AND TWO.

ONE, THE VISION AND GOALS, TWO IS YOUR SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES.

THREE, FOUR, AND FIVE.

THREE IS NEXT, PROGRESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY.

IF YOU LOOK AT THAT, IT'S WHAT YOU'VE DONE.

FOUR IS ADVOCACY AND ENGAGEMENT, IN THIS YOU'LL ALWAYS SCORE, AND THEN SYNERGY AND TEAMWORK GOES TO THE FOURTH SCORE.

I TOOK ALL OF THEM AND I TOOK THE ONES THAT YOU HAVE, ANYTHING THAT SCORE BELOW FOUR POINTS THERE, AND I THINK THEY ARE 12 OF THEM.

I DON'T THINK WE ARE GOING TO FOLLOW THAT TABLE.

ARE YOU ALL READY IF WE GO ON?

[00:20:33]

>> [INAUDIBLE]

>> YES, SIR. ANYTHING THAT WAS AT 4.0 AND BELOW, NO ZERO, AND IF YOU CAN PICK ONE THAT'S HIGHER, THEN I WOULD THINK IT'S NORMALLY YOU'RE LOOKING AT WHAT DO WE WANT TO WORK ON THIS YEAR.

[BACKGROUND] ITS GOING TO BE ONE OF YOUR LOWEST ONES AND I WOULD NOT SUGGEST.

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DEAL WITH ANY RETURNING AND MY OPINION IS THAT YOU TAKE NOT MORE THAN TWO.

IF YOU SAY, AS A BOARD, THIS IS WHAT WE'RE PERFORMING AND SO THESE ARE ONE OR TWO OF OUR GOALS.

YOU HAVE TWO MEMBERS, THAT ARE RETURNING AND TWO NEW MEMBERS THAT ARE COMING AND THEY'RE WORKING TOGETHER AS A BOARD, WHAT IT MEANT MIGHT BE A LOT.

WHAT YOU HAVE IN FRONT OF YOU [INAUDIBLE] PUT UP ON THAT EXACT SAME SLIDE AND I'M GOING TO ASK YOU TO LOOK AT THOSE, WE HAVE TO USE THREE DIFFERENT ONES.

YOU'VE GOT THREE DOTS, SO I WANT YOU TO SAY, I WANT TO PUT A DOT ON WHICHEVER THREE YOU THINK, THIS IS WHAT I THINK WE NEED TO WORK FOR THIS YEAR.

I'LL TAKE WRITING THOSE SO YOU CAN GET THROUGH THAT.

[NOISE] [OVERLAPPING] YOU JUST GET THREE OF THOSE, WHICHEVER THREE THAT YOU WANT AND THEN, WE'LL LOOK AND SEE.

>>IS IT A WORD DOCUMENT? [BACKGROUND] [LAUGHTER][OVERLAPPING]

>> ARE YOU RECORDING THIS?

>> YEAH.

>> WE NEED TO SPEAK IN THE MICS.

>> I NEED TO SPEAK IN THE MIC?

>> YEAH.

>> OKAY. SORRY.

>> THAT'S WHAT I WAS THINKING.

>> OKAY. THIS IS HARD TO STAY RIGHT HERE.

[NOISE] IF I MOVE OVER, [INAUDIBLE], YOU'LL TELL ME TO GO BACK TO MY PLACE.

OKAY. [BACKGROUND] THANK YOU.

WE'RE GOING TO GO BACK TO THAT WORD DOCUMENT THAT LISTS EVERYTHING.

[LAUGHTER] THAT IS THE DOCUMENT WITH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE BULLETED POINTS, THAT'S WHERE YOU GAVE THE ONE THROUGH FIVE AND SO ANYTHING THAT'S IN LSG, KEEP GOING, I HIGHLIGHTED IN YELLOW, STOP RIGHT THERE, SO YOU CAN SEE THAT'S PART OF THE LSG.

KEEP ON GOING.

STOP. UP A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT. RIGHT THERE.

CAN YOU SEE THOSE ARE BOTH LSG? OKAY. SO GO UP A LITTLE BIT MORE.

OKAY, RIGHT THERE. THESE FIVE WERE LSG TENETS THAT WERE NOT IN THAT DOCUMENT.

>> FOR THE REST OF THE BOARD, I HAVE TO SAY,

[00:25:01]

IT WAS SUPER INTERESTING TO WATCH THE BOARD PUT THIS TOGETHER.

I REACHED OUT TO KEVIN ELLIS A FEW TIMES TO TALK TO HIM ABOUT WHAT SHOULD AND SHOULDN'T BE INCLUDED AND THERE WAS A PRETTY HEAVY DISCUSSION.

IT WAS PRETTY FASCINATING TO SEE THE FINAL DOCUMENT THAT CAME OUT OF THIS.

>> DID YOU SEE BECAUSE ALL OF YOU WORKED VERY STRONGLY CONNECTED WITH THE LSG.

WHEN YOU WERE ANSWERING SOME OF THE QUESTIONS IN THE SURVEY THAT YOU TOOK, DID YOU THINK, THAT'S LSG OR THIS ISN'T LSG OR THAT'S NOT IN THERE? I THINK THAT THERE'S SOME THAT COULD QUITE POSSIBLY BE IN A SCORECARD THAT PROGRESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY WON, THAT COULD EASILY GO INTO A SCORECARD.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES, THE NEXT TWO.

BUT THIS IS WHERE I TOLD YOU THAT IF YOU WANT TO DO A WRITE-IN VOTE FROM WHAT'S OVER HERE, I'M GOING TO HAVE DR. SCOTT, TELL US WHAT THE TOP ONE WAS.

THE ONE WITH THE MOST DOTS.

WAIT, YOU NEED TO COME OVER HERE.

[LAUGHTER] [BACKGROUND]

>> OKAY. IT WAS FROM CATEGORY NUMBER 5 AND IT REMAINS FOCUSED ON ITS GOALS AND PRIORITIES AS OPPOSED TO INDIVIDUAL AGENDAS SEPARATE AND APART FROM THE SHARED VISION.

>> THIS IS WHEN YOU NEED TO TALK AMONGST YOURSELVES AND SAY, DO YOU THINK THAT THIS IS AN APPROPRIATE GOAL FOR THE BOARD GOING FORWARD?

>> YES. [LAUGHTER] [BACKGROUND]

>> WE'VE BEEN THROUGH, ALL OF US, LONE STAR GOVERNANCE AND SO WE'VE HAD SOME GREAT OPPORTUNITIES TO BE SELF-REFLECTIVE AND I THINK THAT WAS SUCH A GOOD JOURNEY FOR US.

THEN TO BE SELF-REFLECTIVE AS A DISTRICT AND AS A BOARD AND INDIVIDUALLY AND WHAT WE BRING TO THE TEAM AND STUFF.

I TRULY BELIEVE THAT THAT'S WHAT WE'VE BEEN WORKING.

I MEAN, THAT'S ONE OF THE BEST STATEMENTS THAT SUMMARIZES WHAT I FEEL THAT EVEN OUR CHALLENGES WERE WITH LSG, IF THAT MAKES SENSE.

>> YES.

>> WHERE WE BROKE THE CEILING [LAUGHTER] OF IT PER SE.

I GUESS, THAT'S WHAT I FEEL LIKE THAT STATEMENT SAYS TO ME ABOUT WHAT OUR JOURNEY HAS BEEN LIKE AND WHERE WE WANT TO BE.

>> THOSE IN THE AUDIENCE. WHICH ONE IS IT? [BACKGROUND] OKAY.

CAN YOU ALL SEE? WHO ELSE? WHAT OTHER COMMENTS?

>> I WOULD SAY THAT, I THINK THAT THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT WE CAN DO BECAUSE WE CAN ONLY OPERATE AS A BOARD, WE CAN'T OPERATE AS INDIVIDUALS, SO THERE IS NO BENEFIT TO WASTE ENERGY ON INDIVIDUAL EFFORTS THAT THE BOARD HAS NOT AGREED UPON.

THAT'S JUST WASTED ENERGY THAT PREVENTS US FROM ACHIEVING THE GOALS THAT WE WANT TO ACHIEVE AND SO I THINK THAT THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL FOR SUCCESS TO ACHIEVING WHATEVER GOALS ARE ESTABLISHED.

>> I WOULD ADD TO THAT, THAT HELPS ALSO PROVIDE JUST CONTINUAL CLARITY FOR US AS AN ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM ON THE DIRECTION THAT WE'RE GOING.

>> THAT HELPS YOU ALL NOT WASTE SO MUCH ENERGY AS WELL AND HELPS US KEEP THE MAIN THING, THE MAIN THING. [OVERLAPPING]

>> YES. ABSOLUTELY.

>> SO I THINK THAT'S A GREAT POINT.

>> ONE OF THE REASONS WHY THAT STOOD OUT SO MUCH TO ME IS THAT I THINK IT BEST ENCOMPASSED A FEW OTHERS ON THE LIST.

BY FOCUSING IT AS A COLLECTIVE BECAUSE WE ARE A COLLECTIVE, IT MINIMIZE THE DISTRACTIONS THAT UNINTENTIONALLY MAY IMPOSE ON THE SENIOR ADMINISTRATION.

IF NOT WORKING DIRECTLY THROUGH OUR BOARD PRESIDENT AND/OR DR. [INAUDIBLE] BUT IT ALSO HELPS US TO ENSURE THAT WE DON'T GET OURSELVES IN ANY TYPE OF FIDUCIARY BIND AND POTENTIALLY IMPLICATE THE DISTRICT BY SPEAKING OUT OF TURN.

SO, I THINK IT'S A POINT OF EMPHASIS BOTH IN LSG AND SOME OF THE TRAININGS WE'VE TALKED ABOUT IS THAT, EVERY TIME WE SPEAK, WE ARE PRIVATE CITIZENS, BUT WE ARE ALSO MEMBERS OF THE BOARD AND SO IF WE'RE NOT CAREFUL TO DELINEATE THE TWO, THEN WE MAY BE BRINGING ON SOME FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY TO OURSELVES AS INDIVIDUALS AS WELL AS THE DISTRICT.

THAT'S WHY I THINK THAT IT WASN'T TO PICK OFF FOUR IN THAT SPACE OR FIVE IN THAT SPACE BECAUSE THAT ONE, I THINK HITS ON IT FOR ME.

>> I WAS GOING TO ADD WHAT MR. DAVIS MENTIONED.

[00:30:02]

I ACTUALLY PUT AS ONE OF MY STICKERS, THE INDIVIDUAL TRUSTEES DUTY AS A TRUSTEE BECAUSE AS AN INDIVIDUAL MEMBER, I MAY HAVE AN OPINION, I MAY HAVE A DOUBT, BUT WE SPEAK AS ONE, AS A BOARD.

SO WHAT MR. DAVIS WAS REFERRING TO, I AGREE THAT AS A BOARD, SINCE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT CREATING A BOARD DOCUMENT, THAT IF WE REMAIN FOCUSED ON OUR ROLE INDIVIDUALLY BUT ALSO OUR ROLE COLLECTIVELY, IT'LL KEEP US FOCUSED ON OUR GOALS AND PRIORITIES BECAUSE WE CAN'T GO OUT THERE AND START CHASING RABBITS AND YOU'LL NEVER CATCH A RABBIT [LAUGHTER] AS A DISTRICT AND SO I REALLY DO BELIEVE THAT BOARD HAS A RESPONSIBILITY TO STAY FOCUSED ON ITS GOALS AND ITS PRIORITIES, SO THAT'S WHY I PUT IT AS ONE OF MY THREE.

>> ANY OTHER COMMENTS?

>> IT'S WELL SAID.

>> WE GO BACK TO THE WORD DOCUMENT AGAIN. I'M SO SORRY.

BECAUSE I WANT YOU TO SEE THEY WERE FROM LSG, BUT THEY WEREN'T PART OF THE SURVEY.

IS THERE ONE OF THOSE THAT YOU SAY, WE HAVE TO HAVE THAT.

I WILL TELL YOU THAT WHAT YOU WROTE IN SOME OF THE SURVEY AND THE COMMENTS IS TO HAVE A TRAINING PROTOCOL FOR ONBOARDING, THAT LSG WAS SO STRONG IN THAT TRAINING.

I WILL PUT THAT OUT THERE ALSO THAT YOU WOULD BE CREATING YOUR OWN.

IT WOULD BE IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE ADMINISTRATION, BUT YOU WOULD BE PROVIDING, THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO MAKE SURE IT'S IN IT.

WE DON'T WANT TO FORGET THIS, THIS WORKED, WE WANT TO MAKE SURE IT'S THERE.

>> I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THE COMMENT ABOUT THE BOARD INVEST AT LEAST HALF IT'S TIME TO IMPROVING STUDENT OUTCOMES.

I DON'T THINK THAT WE NEED TO DO THE RIGID MATH BEHIND THAT.

THAT WAS REQUIRED BEFORE, ACTUALLY TIMING OUT EVERY COMMENT AND THINGS LIKE THAT, BUT I DO THINK THAT THAT'S AN IMPORTANT CONCEPT FOR THE SUPERINTENDENT AND FOR THE BOARD PRESIDENT TO THINK ABOUT WHEN THEY PUT TOGETHER AN AGENDA.

THAT'S THE VERY FIRST THING THAT WE IMPLEMENTED ABOUT LSG.

TO TELL YOU A LITTLE STORY ABOUT THAT, WHEN I HAD FIRST HEARD ABOUT LONE STAR GOVERNANCE AND WHAT THEY WERE TRYING TO DO WITH THAT, THIS IS THE ONE PIECE THAT STUCK OUT TO ME BECAUSE THE EXAMPLE THEY USED IS THAT A LOT OF DISTRICTS ARE BUILDING BUILDINGS AND THEY HAVE A LOT OF BOND ISSUES, AND YOU WILL FIND THAT BECAUSE ONE OF THE BOARD'S PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES IS MAKING SURE THAT WE'RE APPROVING BUDGETS AND DOING ALL THAT SPENDING MONEY WISELY, IS THAT YOU'LL FIND THAT THERE IS A BOND UPDATED EVERY MEETING, AND NINE TIMES OUT OF 10 THE BOND UPDATE IS THINGS ARE GOING GREAT, THUMBS UP.

YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME BECAUSE YOU SHOULD BE FOCUSED ON ISSUES THAT NEED TO BE WORKED ON.

YOU SHOULD BE LEARNING MORE ABOUT STUDENT OUTCOMES BECAUSE JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A NICE BUILDING DOESN'T MEAN THAT GOOD STUDENT OUTCOMES ARE GOING COME OUT OF THAT BUILDING.

IT CAN CERTAINLY CONTRIBUTE TO THAT, BUT THAT'S NOT THE END GOAL, IS TO HAVE A NICE BUILDING.

I WAS THERE WITH MICHAEL EVANS, WHO WAS ON OUR BOARD AT THE TIME, AND WE BOTH LOOKED AT EACH OTHER AND SAID [INAUDIBLE] BECAUSE WE WERE GETTING BOND UPDATES EVERY SINGLE MEETING, BUT WE WEREN'T NECESSARILY GETTING UPDATES ON STUDENT OUTCOMES AND HOW WELL STUDENTS WERE PERFORMING.

WE CAME BACK AND TALKED TO DR. B. AND SAID, HEY, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MAYBE JUST DOING A QUARTERLY BOND UPDATE? BECAUSE I'M TELLING YOU, MR. [INAUDIBLE] DOES A GREAT JOB.

[LAUGHTER] IT WAS GREAT TO TOOT HIS HORN, BUT WE DIDN'T NECESSARILY NEED TO DO AT EVERY MEETING.

DR. B. WAS LIKE, 'OH, MY GOSH, I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT.

IT WAS SUCH AN EASY, OBVIOUS THING IN FRONT OF US THAT WE HADN'T CONSIDERED.

I DON'T THINK THAT THAT NECESSARILY NEEDS TO BE THE FOCUS OF THE WHOLE BOARD, BUT KNOWING THE ROLE OF THE PRESIDENT AND THE ROLE OF THE SUPERINTENDENT, IF THERE IS SOME WAY TO CAPTURE THAT UNDER BEST PRACTICES, THAT THEY CAN KEEP THAT IN MIND AS THEY PLAN AGENDAS, I THINK THAT'S SUPER HELPFUL.

IT'S TO HELP KEEP THE MAIN THING, THE MAIN THING.

>> I JUST THINK THAT OUR ONLY ISSUE EVER WITH THAT WAS WE ALL FELT THAT IT WAS A PALPABLE CHANGE FOR US AT MEETINGS, BUT MAKING MORE WORK FOR THE ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM FELT LIKE A WRONG THING.

THERE'S A GOOD IN THERE SOMEWHERE.

WE JUST DON'T WANT TO TAKE THE BAD WITH IT.

[LAUGHTER]

>> IN A MINUTE, WE'RE GOING TO GET TO THE SCORECARD, I PROMISE YOU, BUT POINT WELL TAKEN.

IS THERE, FROM WHAT YOU HAVE, ANYTHING WITH THIS LSG? I HAVE IT IN ANOTHER SLIDE, SO GO BACK TO THE POWERPOINT.

I'LL SHOW IT TO YOU IN ANOTHER SLIDE, BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE QUITE POSSIBLY THAT THE OVERARCHING AREA FOR IMPROVEMENT FOR BOARD, NOT FOR THE DISTRICT, BUT FOR THE BOARD, IS REMAINS FOCUSED ON ITS GOALS AND PRIORITIES AS OPPOSED TO

[00:35:02]

INDIVIDUAL AGENDAS SEPARATE AND APART FROM THE SHARED VISION.

>> THIS FEEDS INTO THAT PERFECTLY WITH THE AGENDA SETTING AND ALL OF THAT TOO.

TO MR. DAVIS' POINT EARLIER, THAT KNOCKS THAT OUT TOO, BUT I LIKE THE WAY IT WAS WELL WRITTEN BECAUSE IT WAS LESS ABSTRACT. [LAUGHTER]

>> [OVERLAPPING] IT FELT LIKE A SUMMARIZATION STATEMENT FOR US, LIKE WHICH IS YOUR BEST OPTION TO CHOOSE.

>> THAT IS A STATEMENT THAT WOULD BE A GOAL.

HOW YOU MEASURE IT IS GOING TO HAVE TO BE FLUSHED OUT LATER AND THAT'S THE HARD PART.

DECIDING WHAT TO DO IS MUCH EASIER THAN DECIDING HOW TO MEASURE IT.

>> WE'VE HEARD THAT BEFORE.

>> [OVERLAPPING] WE LEARNED THAT FROM LONE STAR GOVERNANCE.

[LAUGHTER]

>> [OVERLAPPING] GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE. THAT YOU CAN SEE.

THAT'S WHERE I PUT THOSE AGAIN.

GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE. I CAN DO IT NOW.

>> WELL, HE JUST LEFT.

>> I CAN DO IT.

>> [OVERLAPPING] HE SAID, LATER.

>> YOU-ALL SEEN THIS SO FAR. THAT LOOK FAMILIAR? [INAUDIBLE] CAMPUS, DEPARTMENT, THE DISTRICT.

OUR HEAD SCORECARD LOOKS VERY MUCH LIKE THAT.

I'M GOING TO GIVE YOU SOME THOUGHTS ON THE RIGHT-HAND SIDE, BUT BEFORE I DO, EVERY SINGLE CAMPUS DEPARTMENT'S DISTRICT SCOREBOARD BEGINS WITH GUIDING STATEMENTS AND THEY ARE ALL THE SAME.

IF THIS IS YOUR SCORECARD, THOSE ARE LAG MEASURES, YOU WOULD HAVE IN A DASHBOARD WHERE YOU WOULD GET REPORTS ON ALL FOUR OF THOSE MEASURES.

[INAUDIBLE] PRETTY SIMILAR TO THE ONES YOU'VE GOT IN [INAUDIBLE].

THE DIFFERENCE WOULD BE THAT IT WILL BE RECORDED IN CONJUNCTION WITH WHAT IS IN INSTRUCTIONS.

>> JUST GOING TO SAY ALIGNED WITH OUR SYSTEM OF REPORTING.

>> YES.

THIS IS A DRAFT, BUT I WANT YOU TO SEE 1.1 THROUGH 1.4 LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE IT DOES ON THE DISTRICT SCORECARD, AND IT NEEDS TO BE ON EVERYBODY'S SCORECARD BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE YOUR OVERARCHING GOALS ARE FOR THE DISTRICT.

>> MY LITTLE HEART LEAPED A LITTLE BIT WHEN YOU SAID THAT. THANK YOU. [LAUGHTER]

>> THAT'S WHERE I WANTED US TO GET TO, BUT NOW LOOK AT VISION AND GOALS NUMBER 2.

YOU WOULD HAVE LAG MEASURES AT THE END IF YOU PICK THE ONE THAT DR. SCOTT READ THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER IT EXACTLY.

WOULD YOU READ THAT AGAIN, DR. SCOTT?

>> REMAINS FOCUSED ON ITS GOALS AND PRIORITIES AS OPPOSED TO INDIVIDUAL AGENDA SEPARATE AND APART FROM THE SHARED VISION.

>> WE WOULD HAVE HOW YOU WOULD MEASURE THAT LIKE WITH BOARD GOAL 1.

IF THERE'S ANOTHER BOARD GOAL THAT YOU WANT, AGAIN, WE CAN FILL THIS WHOLE PAGE WITH BOARD GOALS.

I WOULDN'T. I DON'T THINK THAT YOU CAN DO ALL OF THEM BECAUSE THIS IS YOU DOING IT. YOU DOING THE WORK.

THEN IF YOU HAVE A GOAL THAT YOU'VE GIVEN THE SUPERINTENDENT THROUGH THE PROCESS, IT WOULD GO THERE TOO BECAUSE SHE NEEDS TO GIVE YOU LEAD MEASURES, STATUS REPORTS ON HOW SHE'S DOING ON ACCOMPLISHING THAT GOAL THAT YOU-ALL HAVE DECIDED UPON.

YOU GET TO HOW THAT WOULD BE.

IT CAN BE MORE, I JUST PUT TWO BOARD AND TWO SUPERINTENDENT.

>> BUT TECHNICALLY IT CAN BE ONE AND ONE.

>> IT COULD BE, YES.

>> MR. SNADE.

>> WELL, I WAS GOING TO SAY ANYTHING MORE THAN TWO WOULD BE REALLY TOUGH AND EVEN TWO, WHEN I'M THINKING ABOUT TWO GOALS, EVEN THAT ONE'S DICEY FOR ME, BUT I COULD LIVE WITH TWO, BUT THAT'S ON THE HIGH END.

>> TWO COULD BE 2.1 AND 2.2.

YOUR GOAL AND HOW YOU'RE GOING TO MEASURE IT AT THE END OF THE YEAR.

WE'VE WORKED ON THIS ALL YEAR LONG.

HOW ARE WE GOING TO KNOW IF WE WERE SUCCESSFUL? THAT'S SOMETHING YOU-ALL ARE GOING TO HAVE TO DECIDE WHAT THAT MEASURE IS.

THEN WHATEVER YOU HAVE FOR THE SUPERINTENDENT'S GOAL AS GOALS AND I'M GOING TO TELL YOU THAT ALL OF ONE IS YOU-ALL'S GOALS AND HER GOALS AND ALL THE DISTRICT GOALS.

THEN HOW ARE YOU GOING TO MEASURE THAT AT THE END TO KNOW YOU'RE SUCCESSFUL? THEN IF YOU LOOK AT THREE, SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES, YOUR TIME WAS SPENT WITH INSTRUCTION WHICH YOU-ALL ARE GETTING REPORTS.

YOU'RE DOING PRETTY WELL WITH THAT, BUT HAVE YOU BEEN GIVEN OTHER SYSTEM REPORTS? I DON'T KNOW.

[00:40:04]

I'M ASKING BECAUSE I THINK IT'S PRETTY IMPORTANT THAT YOU ALL KNOW OVER-ARCHING THE WHOLE DISTRICT, AND SO IF THERE ARE, I'M GOING TO SAY, 12 SYSTEMS IN THE DISTRICT.

MAINTENANCE, CUSTODIAL, CURRICULUM INSTRUCTION, COUNSELING, WE'LL LIST THEM ALL OUT AND IN A FIVE-YEAR PERIOD, WE WANT A COMPREHENSIVE SYSTEM REPORT ON THAT SYSTEM.

YOU WOULD SAY IF IT'S FIVE A YEAR, IF IT'S SIX A YEAR, THAT'S WHERE THAT WOULD GO.

DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?

>> IT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE.

I THINK WE DO GET SYSTEM REPORTS LIKE WHEN WE GET A REPORT FOR MAINTENANCE AND WHAT THEY'RE DOING OR EVEN STUDENT NUTRITION AND THINGS LIKE THAT.

WE DO GET THOSE THINGS, BUT I THINK FORMALIZING THE FACT THAT WE'RE GETTING A REPORT FROM THAT SYSTEM IS WHAT THIS MEANS, RIGHT?

>> YES.

>> I WAS GOING TO SAY, YEAH. PUTTING THAT STRUCTURE AND HAVING THAT CADENCE MOVING FORWARD, THEN WE KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. [OVERLAPPING]

>> YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT ARE THEIR GOALS, WHAT ARE THEIR SYSTEM MEASURES THAT MATTER, WHERE DO THEY HAVE GAPS, WHAT ARE IMPROVEMENTS THAT THEY MADE, WHAT ARE INNOVATIONS THAT THEY'RE LOOKING AT.

HOW MANY CUSTOMERS DO THEY SERVE?

>> WHERE THEY NEED IMPROVEMENT.

>> YES.

>> JUST AS A SIDE NOTE, HERE AS WE LOOK TO MAKE THOSE GOALS A LITTLE BIT TOO, I WOULD ENCOURAGE US THAT AS WE START TO LOOK AT THOSE SYSTEM REPORTS THAT WE START WITH THOSE CLOSEST TO THE STUDENTS AND THEN WORK OUR WAY OUT.

>> IS SOMEONE TAKING NOTES?

>> YES, ALL OF US.

>> THANK YOU. BECAUSE I THINK THAT THAT'S A REALLY GOOD IDEA.

>> THEN THERE'S THAT BOARD MEMBER REQUIRED TRAINING. [OVERLAPPING]

>> HOLLY.

>> YES, SIR.

>> IF WE CAN JUST PAUSE FOR A SECOND.

I JUST WANT TO BE CAREFUL.

I THINK [INAUDIBLE] SPOKE A MOMENT ABOUT THIS.

I WANT TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF STUFF WE ADD ON HERE FOR A COUPLE OF REASONS.

ONE, I WANT TO BE CAREFUL THAT WE DON'T LEAVE OUR ROLE AS THE BOARD AND GET INTO THE WORK OF THE LEADERSHIP OF THE DISTRICT AND ALL THE WONDERFUL EMPLOYEES OF THE DISTRICT.

WE'RE HEARING REPORT OUT, BUT I THINK IT'S WONDERFUL, I THINK WE NEED TO GET THAT INFORMATION AND CADENCE FOR THAT MAKES SENSE.

I JUST WANT TO BE CAREFUL THAT THAT'S WHERE IT STOPS AND WE DON'T GO BELOW THAT THRESHOLD BECAUSE AT THAT POINT IN TIME, I THINK WE ENTER INTO SOMEBODY ELSE'S RESPONSIBILITIES.

>> SO WHEN YOU SAY THAT IT'S WHAT WE DO WITH THE INFORMATION AS A NEXT STEP, ARE WE JUST TAKING IT AS A POINT OF INFORMATION? [OVERLAPPING]

>> YOU'RE GETTING A 30,00 FOOT VIEW OF ALL OF THE SYSTEMS THAT ARE IN THE DISTRICT.

IF I ASK YOU RIGHT NOW, IS STUDENT NUTRITION DOING A GOOD JOB?

>> WE CAN ALMOST ALL QUOTE TO YOU HOW MANY MEALS THEY'VE SERVE LAST YEAR. [OVERLAPPING]

>> BUT BECAUSE THAT'S HER MEASURES THAT MATTER AND SHE'S REALLY GOOD AT GIVING YOU THAT AND IT'S ALSO ON THE DISTRICT SCORECARD, RIGHT? BUT LET ME TAKE-

>> THE ONE I'M SPECIFICALLY THINKING OF WHEN I LOOK AT THIS, LIKE WE'VE STARTED WITH THE STUDENTS IS SOME OF THE THINGS LIKE SPECIAL EDUCATION.

THERE'S OFTEN A LOT OF CHANGES THAT HAPPEN BETWEEN THE TIMES WE GET REPORT OUTS AND THINGS LIKE THAT.

SO JUST MAKING SURE THAT WE ARE HEARING FROM THOSE ON A PERIODIC BASIS WITH SOME RHYTHM.

>> I THINK WE MIGHT NEED A LITTLE BIT OF CLARITY BECAUSE I THINK WHAT HOLLY IS TALKING ABOUT IS, THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE THEIR DASHBOARD WITHIN THEIR DEPARTMENT, STUDENT NUTRITION OR SPECIAL ED, EITHER DEPARTMENT WORKS BECAUSE OF THE PACING AND THE CASE OF ACCOUNTABILITY PROCESS IS THE SAME, REGARDLESS OF WHICH YOU'RE LOOKING AT.

THERE ARE, SAY FIVE TIMES A YEAR THEY REPORT OUT ON THIS MEASURE, THREE TIMES A YEAR THEY REPORT OUT ON THIS MEASURE.

WHAT I THINK HOLLY IS TALKING ABOUT WHEN SHE SAYS A SYSTEM REPORT IS AN ANNUAL REPORT AT A 30,000 FOOT LEVEL TO THE BOARD, DOESN'T MEAN YOU STILL GET THOSE, WHEN IT COMES UP ON THE DISTRICT DASHBOARD IN THE SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORT, YOU'LL CONTINUE TO GET THOSE, BUT YOU'LL JUST GET ONE BIG PRESENTATION OVER THE ENTIRE SYSTEM.

>> THAT'S WHAT I'M THINKING ABOUT TOO. DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? JUST HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED AND STUFF LIKE THAT WHEN YOU START TO LOOK AT SOME OF THESE DIFFERENT DEPARTMENTS.

I WOULD EVEN SAY AND IT'S NOT REALLY A SYSTEM, WELL, IT IS A SYSTEM TO LOOKING AT CCMR, THE PRESENTATIONS THAT Y'ALL HAVE GIVEN ON THAT, WE'VE SEEN A LOT OF CHANGES AND THERE'S NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT WE HAVEN'T SEEN EVERY SYSTEM AND ALL THE CHANGES THAT HAVE GONE WITH EVERY SYSTEM BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE THINGS ARE CHANGING AT A VERY RAPID PACE.

>> I WOULD SUGGEST WITH THAT IS THAT DR. SCOTT, MAKE A LIST OF THE MAJOR SUBSYSTEMS IN THE DISTRICT AND THAT YOU-ALL,

[00:45:01]

IF YOU DO THIS, THEN YOU SAY, WE WANT FIVE A YEAR.

I CAN TELL YOU THAT WHEN I DID THIS BEFORE THEY HAVE TO DO A WRITTEN REPORT, YOU GET IT IN YOUR THING, IN YOUR BOARD, AND THEN THEY COME AND PRESENT TO YOU WITH A 10 MINUTE REPORT THAT'S AN OVERVIEW OF THE MOST SIGNIFICANT OR WHAT THEY BELIEVE IS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT PIECES OF THAT.

SO, IT'S NOT LIKE THEY'RE GOING TO COME AND GIVE YOU AN HOUR-AND-A-HALF REPORT, I THINK YOU HAVE TO LIMIT IT TO 10 MINUTES, BUT IT STARTS WITH A WHITE PAPER THAT SAID, THIS IS OUR SYSTEM, THIS IS OUR MISSION, VISION AND VALUE, WE HAVE A COPY OF OUR SCORECARD ON IT, THIS IS WHAT OUR GOALS HAD BEEN, THESE ARE OUR CUSTOMERS, THESE ARE OUR CUSTOMER NEEDS, THESE ARE THE ONES WE'RE MEETING, THESE ARE THE ONES THAT WE STILL HAVE ROOM TO GROW, THESE ARE SYSTEM MEASURES THAT MATTER, THIS IS WHERE WE HAVE GAPS IN PERFORMANCE, THIS IS WHERE WE THINK THE NEXT PLACE IS GOING TO HAPPEN WITH THIS DEPARTMENT.

>> NONE OF THIS SHOULD BE EXTRA WORK BECAUSE THEY'RE ALREADY DOING [OVERLAPPING] THIS.

IT'S JUST A MATTER OF WHERE THAT INFORMATION IS NOW BEING SHARED.

>> BUT POINT OF CLARIFICATION FOR ME IS, ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HOW MANY SYSTEMS THAT WE WANT TO REPORT ON OR HOW MANY SYSTEMS WE WANT TO REPORT ON AND HOW MANY TIMES [OVERLAPPING] OR BOTH?

>> MY SUGGESTION IS THAT FOR THIS MAJOR SYSTEM REVIEW FOR YOU, IF THERE'S 20 AND YOU HAVE FIVE YEARS TO GET THEM ALL, OR YOU MIGHT SAY WE WANT TO CONDENSE THIS, WE WANT ALL OF THEM IN THREE YEARS, THEN YOU WOULD SAY, DR. SCOTT, THESE ARE THE FIVE THAT WE WANT THIS YEAR AND WE WANT THEM THESE MONTHS.

HE HAS THE PROTOCOL, THE PROCESS OF HOW IT'S GOING TO REPORT IT, IT NEEDS TO BE EVERYONE REPORTS THE SAME INFORMATION.

IT'S GOING TO LOOK DIFFERENT, BUT EVERYONE REPORTS THE SAME INFORMATION.

>> BUT THE FORM WILL BE THE SAME. IS THAT WHAT YOU MEAN?

>> YES.

>> THE FORMAT?

>> YES. [OVERLAPPING]

>> YOU KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR IT.

LIKE WHEN YOU LOOK ON A CLA, YOUR EYES KNOW TO GO TO SEE WHERE THE RANGES ARE, RIGHT? [OVERLAPPING]

>> SO IT'S JUST GETS IT TO DO ON A FORMALIZED BASIS.

YOU AS A BOARD HAVE A 30,000 FOOT VIEW THAT WHEN IT COMES TIME FOR THE BUDGET, YOU MAY SAY, NOVEMBER TECHNOLOGY SAID THIS WAS THE COMING THING.

HAVE WE ADDRESSED THAT? CAN WE AFFORD TO ADDRESS THAT OR WHAT ARE WE DOING ABOUT IT? IT'S JUST SO THAT YOU'RE INFORMED AS THE GOVERNING BODY, NOT AS I DO THIS AS STRATEGY LEVEL, BUT AS OVERARCHING, THIS IS THE STATE OF OUR DISTRICT WITH REGARD TO THIS SYSTEM.

>> I GET IT. IT'S ALMOST LIKE THE CALENDAR.

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT THIS.

>> YEAH.

>> RIGHT?

>> YES.

>> HOW OFTEN WE GET A REPORT FROM COUNSELING, HOW OFTEN WE GET OUR SPECIAL ED REPORT, ALL OF THOSE THINGS.

IT'S JUST FORMALIZING IT AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO MAKE THE DECISION ABOUT HOW OFTEN WE WANT TO SEE IT COME UP ON THE CALENDAR, WOULD THAT BE INAPPROPRIATE.

>> RATHER THAN HOLDING US ACCOUNTABLE FOR DELIVERING THOSE REPORTS [OVERLAPPING]

>> DELIVERING IT.

>> YES.

>> OKAY.

>> IT'S NOT ADDING ANY EXTRA WORK. [OVERLAPPING]

>> BECAUSE IT'S ALREADY A CADENCE OF ACCOUNTABILITY.

>> WE ALREADY HAVE THAT INFORMATION.

>> ALTHOUGH, I WOULD REMIND EVERYONE THAT THIS IS ALL IN THE SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORT EVERY MONTH, WE DO GET REGULAR REPORTS.

>> [OVERLAPPING] YOU CAN SEE LOTS OF CADENCE OF ACCOUNTABILITY.

>> THAT COULD BE THE FREQUENCY OF THE REPORTING TOO.

IT MAY NOT NECESSARILY NEED TO BE A FORMAL PRESENTATION.

>> IT'S JUST ON THE AGENDA.

>> WELL, ON THIS ONE IT WOULD BE A FORMAL PRESENTATION. [OVERLAPPING]

>> I'M JUST SAYING FOUR TIMES A YEAR.

THERE MIGHT NOT NEED TO BE A FORMAL PRESENTATION FOUR TIMES A YEAR ABOUT A PARTICULAR [OVERLAPPING]

>> EVERY TIME.

>> THAT WOULD BE RIDICULOUS.

>> YEAH, YOU'RE RIGHT.

>> YEAH.

>> THEN LENGTH OF BOARD MEETINGS, ARE YOU SPENDING FOUR OR FIVE HOURS? IS THERE A REASON? YOU ALL KNOW HOW LONG OUR BOARD MEETINGS LAST, MAY NOT BE A BIG DEAL TO YOU, BUT MANY PEOPLE IT IS AND IT'S NOT THAT YOU SAID WE WANT TO HAVE THREE HOURS OR WE'RE CUTTING THEM OFF.

IT'S JUST YOU LOOK AND THEN YOU LOOK TO SEE WHAT'S HOLDING US UP AND IS THERE AN ISSUE IN THE SYSTEM? SOMETHING THAT'S A CLOG IN THE SYSTEM THAT WE'RE NOT ABLE TO OPERATE EFFICIENTLY.

>> THAT'S REALLY INTERESTING BECAUSE THAT IS ONE OF THE THINGS.

AGAIN, GOING BACK TO LONE STAR GOVERNANCE WITH THE COMMUNITY CONVERSATIONS AND THINGS LIKE THAT.

IF YOU DO FIND THAT BOARD MEETINGS ARE RUNNING LONG, LIKE YOU SAID, MAYBE THE FIVE WHYS ARE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT EXACTLY WHAT'S GOING ON AND MAYBE IT'S PUBLIC COMMENTS.

MAYBE AGAIN, COMMUNITY CONVERSATIONS IS A WAY TO HELP NOT LIMIT PUBLIC COMMENTS, BUT ALLOW PEOPLE TO HAVE MORE INTERACTIONS SO THAT THEY KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE BOARD EFFECTIVELY, ETC.

YEAH, THAT'S NOT A BAD METRIC AS LONG AS WE THINK ABOUT IT.

>> YEAH. [OVERLAPPING] IT'S NOT KNEE-JERK WHERE YOU HAVE UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES.

WE SAID WE'RE ONLY GOING TO HAVE THREE HOURS, I'M SORRY, [INAUDIBLE] UNTIL YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT THIS OR WE'RE GOING TO DO THIS.

IT'S JUST SO THAT YOU LOOK IN IT'S JUST A SYMPTOM OF ARE WE HEALTHY AS A DISTRICT? ARE WE HELP YOU AS A BOARD? BUT AGAIN, NONE OF THESE ONES THAT I'VE SEEN IN OTHER BOARD SCORECARDS, NONE OF THEM.

IT'S JUST HOLLY PUT THAT UP THERE.

[NOISE]

>> I WOULD SAY TOO THAT WHEN WE LOOK AT THAT LENGTH OF BOARD MEETINGS IS ONE THING IS THERE,

[00:50:01]

BUT MAYBE IF SOMEBODY WANTS TO GO IN THE SYSTEM RIGHT, THEN WE'LL JUST HAVE A BOARD MEETING EVERY WEEK.

[LAUGHTER] THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT YOU'LL NEED TO LOOK AT BECAUSE [OVERLAPPING]

>> HOW DO YOU DO IT WHEN YOU AVERAGE IT BECAUSE SOMETIMES WE HAVE SEVEN MINUTE BOARD MEETING. [OVERLAPPING]

>> WELL, THAT'S WHAT I WAS [OVERLAPPING]

>> THINKING OF PUMP THAT AVERAGE JUST [OVERLAPPING] WANTED TO BUT I HAVE A HARD TIME, I UNDERSTAND THE VALIDITY IN IT BUT I HAVE A HARD TIME FIGURING OUT HOW WE'RE GOING TO, TO ME IT WOULD HAVE TO BE INSTEAD OF A NUMBER, IT WOULD BE IS IT ALWAYS LESS THAN FIVE HOURS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT INSTEAD OF, SO THAT IT DOESN'T GET MANAGED.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MANIPULATE AND WORK THIS OUT.

>> I THINK FOR ME IT'S FOLLOWING ON THOSE LINES.

IT'S NOT SO MUCH THE LENGTH OF TIME, IT'S WHERE THE TIME IS BEING SPENT.

[OVERLAPPING] ONE OF THE METRICS WE TALKED ABOUT EARLIER WAS, IS IT FOCUSED ON STUDENT OUTCOMES?

>> THAT'S WHAT WE WANT TO CHANGE.

>> WE HAVE A LOT OF GREAT THINGS HAPPENING IN THE DISTRICT.

IF WE'RE NOT CAREFUL, WE'LL SPEND, WE WANT TO HAVE HIGHLIGHTS, NOT AN EXHAUSTIVE REPORT OF EVERYTHING HAS HAPPENED SINCE THE LAST TIME WE MET BECAUSE THAT IN ITSELF COULD ELONGATE THE MEETING UNDULY.

>> THAT WOULD BE IF YOU SAID WE WANT OUR MEETINGS TO BE UNDER FIVE HOURS OR EVEN IF YOU'RE JUST TAKING AN AVERAGE, IT IS AGAIN A SYMPTOM AND YOU MIGHT GO AND SAY, DR. CANTU, WE DON'T WANT EXHAUSTIVE REPORTS THAT GET WAY INTO THE WEEDS.

WE WANT OVERVIEWS, WE WANT REPORTS TO BE X AMOUNT OF TIME.

THAT WOULD BE A DIRECTION THAT CONSENT.

>> CONSENT AGENDA HAS HELPED US WITH THAT OVER.

>> YES. I WOULD SAY THAT MIGHT BE SOMETHING TO LOOK AT TOO.

I WAS JUST LOOKING AT THAT.

SAYS 50 PERCENT OF TIME INVESTED IN IMPROVING [OVERLAPPING]

>> THAT STUDENT OUTCOMES.

>> YEAH.

>> I LIFT THAT WEREN'T OFF. I DON'T KNOW WHY.

>> IMPROVING STUDENT OUTCOMES.

WE DON'T WANT TO MAKE THE MATH TOO COMPLICATED, BUT IT COULD BE SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT.

WE WANT AT LEAST TWO ITEMS ON THE AGENDA TO SPEAK TO STUDENT OUTCOMES OR A MINIMUM OF TWO ITEMS, SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

>> AGAIN, JUST PUT IT OUT THERE AND I THINK THAT'S SOMETHING THAT YOU ALL HAVE TO DECIDE IF YOU SAY WE WANT A MINIMUM OF TWO AGENDA ITEMS PER REGULAR BOARD MEETING THAT DISCUSS STUDENT OUTCOMES.

BUT YOU'RE GOING TO GET IT WITH YOUR COAS BECAUSE NUMBER 1, IS GOING TO BE REPORTED TO YOU EVERY TIME.

IF NOT EVERY TIME.

I MEAN, THAT'S WHERE YOU'RE GOING TO GET THAT CALENDAR THAT SAYS WE'RE GOING TO REPORT READING ON LEVEL BY THE START OF THIRD GRADE.

WHAT ARE THE LEAD MEASURES OF THAT AND IT'S WHAT YOU'VE BEEN DOING.

IT'S JUST A LINE.

>> IT DIDN'T FEEL CRAZY.

>> I DON'T THINK WE CAN NEED THAT, I THINK WE DO REALLY PRETTY GOOD ON THAT.

>> THE BOARD OPERATING GUIDELINES IN WHAT IT IS IS YOU'VE WRITTEN THOSE, ARE THEY CORRECT AND IT'S JUST ZERO.

IF YOU WANT TO SAY ZERO, WHERE YOU HAVE ZERO OCCURRENCES, THAT IT'S NOT BEING FOLLOWED.

MOST OF THE TIME WE'RE GOING TO [OVERLAPPING] FOLLOWING YOUR BOARD OPERATING PROCEDURES.

>> IT COULD BE A SURVEY FROM THE TRUSTEES, A CONFIDENTIAL SURVEY OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

>> OR YOU GET JULIE, IF THERE IS A TIME THAT SHE THINKS IT MIGHT, SHE GIVES IT TO THE BOARD PRESIDENT AND [OVERLAPPING] SELF-REPORTING.

BUT THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, BUT THAT'S JUST PART OF THAT ACCOUNTABILITY.

YOU'VE SAID YOU HAVE WRITTEN THAT DOCUMENT.

YOU SAID THIS IS HOW WE'RE GOING TO BE, HEY, THESE ARE THE PROCESSES WE'RE GOING TO FOLLOW, THE PROCEDURES WE'RE GOING TO FOLLOW.

IF IT'S IMPORTANT, IS IT IMPORTANT TO BE MEASURED? I DON'T KNOW. YOU ALL MAY SAY IT'S NOT.

>> I THINK THAT LIKE WHAT YOU SAID, IT'S EASY FOR US TO PUT THAT UP AS ITEM THERE, BUT TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW WE WOULD MEASURE IT IS REALLY WHERE WE GET STUCK IN OUR HEAD A LITTLE BIT WITH IT.

>> FIGURING OUT HOW TO MEASURE IT'S A HARD THING BECAUSE DECIDING THE BIG TOPICS AND THEN IS MUCH BETTER.

>> I WILL SAY TOO. JUST SPEAK TO THE LONE STAR GOVERNANCE PORTION OF THAT TOO.

IT'S OKAY TO START OFF WITH A GREAT MEASUREMENT AND LIVE INTO IT FOR A WHILE AND REALIZE THAT IT'S NOT MEASURING WHAT YOU THOUGHT IT WAS [LAUGHTER] MEASURING AND BE ABLE TO CHANGE YOUR MIND.

IF YOU CAN GET THE MAIN IDEAS, THAT'S THE IMPORTANT PART AND THEN YOU CAN FIGURE OUT THE METRICS FROM THERE.

>> I THINK THAT I'VE TOLD ANYTIME THAT I WORK WITH ANYONE ON SCORECARDS, I ALWAYS TELL THEM THAT YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE ONE OR MORE MEASURES THAT YOU'VE GOT WRONG AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH SAYING COLLECTIVELY AS A GROUP, WE GOT THAT WRONG.

IT REALLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN THIS OR WE MEASURING THAT IT'S NOT DRIVING ANY ACTION, IT'S NOT DRIVING ANY IMPROVEMENT.

THEN YOU WOULD HAVE ADVOCACY AND ENGAGEMENT.

YOU'RE DOING YOUR COMMUNICATIONS. WHAT ARE THEY CALLED?

[00:55:05]

>> CONVERSATIONS.

>> THANK YOU. COMMUNITY CONVERSATIONS.

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE WITH THOSE, IF YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TWO YEARS, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE THREE YEARS.

YOU'D PUT THAT UP THERE.

YOU'D SAY WE WANT TO HAVE TWO COMMUNITY CONVERSATIONS A YEAR.

YOU'D PUT TWO A YEAR.

>> ONE OF THE OTHER THINGS TOO, FOR PROGRESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY THAT I JUST THOUGHT OF [OVERLAPPING]

>> SOMEONE WRITING THIS DOWN.

>> [LAUGHTER] PESSIMISM IS THE FACT THAT WE DO HAVE OUR DIFFERENT COMMITTEES THAT PEOPLE PARTICIPATE IN.

SO LIKE EVEN ATTENDANCE AT THOSE OUTCOMES AND REPORTING OUT ON THE PROGRESS THAT'S BEEN MADE ON THOSE.

THAT COULD BE SOMETHING THAT'S MEASURED.

>> AGAIN, THEN I GET TO MY POINT, I'M THINKING OF MYSELF.

THERE'S SOME COMMITTEES THAT WE SIT ON.

LIKE THERE CAN BE ONE AND IT'S A DISTRICT COMMITTEE AND IT'S CANCELED OR THERE'S ONLY ONE MEETING A YEAR OR YOU'RE ON POLICY COMMITTEE AND YOU'RE MEETING EVERY MONTH AND DOING A LOT OF WORK.

WE GOT TO MAKE SURE THAT THERE'S SOME [OVERLAPPING]

>> BUT I THINK SOME REPORT OUT AS BI-ANNUAL DEPENDING ON THE TYPE THAT IT IS.

IT MAY BE A ONCE A YEAR A REPORT OUT BY THE BOARD MEMBERS [OVERLAPPING]

>> I GUESS ATTENDANCE.

>> WELL, WHERE WOULD ATTENDANCE BE?

>> [OVERLAPPING] I THINK THAT WOULD BE ENGAGEMENT FOR PROGRESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY.

I'M SORRY. I DON'T KNOW.

I THINK IT COULD BE ENGAGEMENT.

>> [INAUDIBLE]

>> YOU SHOULD TURN YOUR MIC ON.

> THERE WE GO. THAT'S GOING TO BE BOTH MEETINGS AS COLLECTIVE BOARD MEETINGS AS WELL AS COMMITTEE WORK AS WELL.

THEY SHOULD BE PROBABLY EXTRAPOLATED OUT.

>> TO BE HONEST. I KNOW THAT SOME OF US INDIVIDUALLY HAVE TALKED ABOUT HOW MANY THINGS THAT WE ATTEND AS BOARD MEETINGS TO GIVE US EYES INTO WHAT'S GOING ON BECAUSE OUR EYES HAVE TO BE A LITTLE BIT BIGGER AND BROADER THAN WHAT THEY ARE SITTING BEHIND THIS MICROPHONE.

>> THERE'S ONE THAT I SAW ANOTHER BOARD DO AND THEY SAID THEY WANTED THE BOARD TO BE REPRESENTED AND IT'S HARD WITH THE DISTRICT IS AS BIG AS MANSFIELD ISDS, AND AS MANY HIGH SCHOOLS AND AS MANY EVENTS.

BUT THEY DECIDED WHAT EVENTS THEY WANTED TO HAVE BOARD REPRESENTATION AT AND CAME UP WITH A LIST AND THEY REPORTED IT ON THEIR SCORECARD.

WHAT PERCENTAGE OF THE EVENTS THAT THEY DETERMINED PEOPLE WOULD BE WERE THERE.

I'M THROWING STUFF OUT FOR YOU.

YOUR MIND IS GOING TO GO.

>> I THINK WE'VE SEEN THAT ONE BEFORE. YEAH.

>> SYNERGY AND TEAMWORK.

TIME TO THINK ABOUT THAT.

>> FOR SYNERGY AND TEAMWORK, COMING ONE OF THE EASY ONES, AS TEAM OF EIGHT TRAINING, WE'RE ALL SUPPOSED TO HAVE IT, BUT ACTUALLY HAVING ATTENDANCE TO THAT AND WE MIGHT WANT TO COMMIT TO DOING THAT MORE THAN ONCE A YEAR.

>> WHEN I ASKED THE QUESTION, ARE YOU A GOOD BOARD? HOW DO YOU KNOW IT? YOU HAVE A SCORECARD RIGHT HERE THAT SAYS BECAUSE WE PAY ATTENTION TO THE DISTRICTS FOR OUR GOALS, AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT WE'VE ACCOMPLISHED THE ANNUAL TARGETS FOR THE PAST HOWEVER MANY YEARS, WE HAVE OUR OWN BOARD GOAL AND IT IS TO DO THIS AND WE'VE DONE IT AS MEASURED BY, WE HAVE THE SUPERINTENDENT'S GIRL, SHE REPORTS IT ONTO US EVERY QUARTERLY OR HOWEVER MUCH AND WE KNOW THAT WE'RE CLOSE TO REACHING THAT.

WE HAVE SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES THAT CONTROL OUR MEETINGS AND WE KNOW HOW MUCH TIME WE SPENT ON STUDENT OUTCOMES.

WE KNOW THAT WE HAVE 50 PERCENT OF OUR TIME SPENT ON STUDENT OUTCOMES AND WE FOLLOW, WE'VE WRITTEN THE BOARD OPERATING PROCEDURES AND WE FOLLOW THEM. YES, SIR.

>> I'M GOING TO REFLECT ON THE THING WITH LONE STAR GOVERNANCE THAT I THOUGHT WAS HELPFUL.

>> YES, SIR.

>> AS INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBER WAS THE BOARD CONSTRAINTS, I REALLY FELT LIKE THAT WAS HELPFUL FOR ME AS A BOARD MEMBER.

BECAUSE WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT ACCOUNTABILITY, IF YOU HAVE ACCOUNTABILITY IN THE ENTIRE DISTRICT BUT YOU DON'T HAVE ACCOUNTABILITY WITH THE BOARD, THAT'S OXYMORON FOR ME PERSONALLY.

THE BOARD CONSTRAINTS WAS THE BOARD'S WAY OF HOLDING ITSELF ACCOUNTABLE TO STAY WITHIN WHAT WAS AGREED UPON.

WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT BOARD OPERATING GUIDELINES, THAT'S WHERE I REALLY THINK THAT PARTICULAR ELEMENT OF LSD WAS CRITICAL.

MAKING SURE THAT AS A BOARD, WE OPERATE WITHIN THE CONSTRAINTS THAT WE AGREED UPON.

ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I'VE LEARNED AS A BOARD MEMBER COMING ON THE BOARD.

I THOUGHT INITIALLY THAT IT WAS JUST THE REGULAR BOARD MEETINGS.

BUT THEN I REALIZE,

[01:00:01]

OKAY, I'M ON THESE COMMITTEES.

[LAUGHTER] I'M ON TWO OR THREE COMMITTEES.

THEN I HAD THE RESPONSIBILITY AS A BOARD MEMBER, I WAS GOING TO FOOTBALL GAMES ON FRIDAY BY THE BALL GAMES [OVERLAPPING]

>> TUESDAYS AND FRIDAYS.

>> TUESDAYS AND FRIDAYS.

THAT'S WHERE I REALLY THINK THE AGREED UPON.

THIS IS HOW WE'RE GOING TO OPERATE AS A BOARD AND WE'RE GOING TO HOLD OURSELVES ACCOUNTABLE.

WE'RE GOING TO SHOW PROGRESS.

WE'RE GOING TO ADVOCATE AND ENGAGE.

I WOULD REALLY SAY THAT THE ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I'VE ENJOYED AS A BOARD MEMBER IS ACTUALLY THE CONVERSATIONS GOING OUT INTO THE COMMUNITY.

WE WERE DOING REAL WELL UNTIL THE PANDEMIC HIT, AND THEN THE PANDEMIC HIT ALL CEASED.

BUT WE BEGAN THE PROCESS NOW WHERE WE'RE BACK ENGAGED.

THAT WOULD BE ONE THING THAT I WOULD LIKE FOR THE BOARD TO CONTINUE BECAUSE THAT ALLOWS US TO NOT ONLY BE IN THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMMUNITY, BUT TO ALSO ACTUALLY HEAR FROM THEM AND BE ABLE TO RESPOND.

I THINK THAT WAS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS AS A BOARD WE DECIDED TO DO.

I WOULD PROBABLY SAY THAT THAT NEEDS TO BE SOMETHING THAT WE MAINTAIN.

>> GREAT. THE CONSTRAINTS, I THINK THAT THEY FIT, THEY'RE PROBABLY IN PROGRESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY ARE SYSTEMS PROBABLY PROGRESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY, BUT WE JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT THAT MEASURE IS.

IT MAKES SURE THAT THE CONSTRAINTS.

DID YOU ALL REVISIT THE CONSTRAINTS ANNUALLY OR DID YOU KEEP THE SAME CONSTRAINTS THAT YOU DECIDED TO AT THE BEGINNING?

>> WE LOOKED AT A MANUALLY BUT WE NEVER CHANGED.

>> THAT'S WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO SAY. WE DID LOOK.

>> THEY WERE EVALUATED, BUT WE CAME UP WITH SUCH A GOOD CONSTRAINT THAT [OVERLAPPING] IT LIVED HIS LIFE [LAUGHTER].

>> I CAN REMEMBER A COUPLE OF CONSTRAINTS HAD TO DO CELL PHONE ETIQUETTE.

I THOUGHT THAT WAS GREAT.

TRYING TO THINK OF A FEW MORE.

NUMBER 1, I THINK WE ALSO PUT IN THERE WHERE THE BOARD PRESIDENT WAS THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE BOARD.

THAT WAS A CONSTRAINTS.

THAT REMINDED ME AS A BOARD MEMBER, IF SOMETHING CAME UP, I WOULD REFER THEM TO THE BOARD PRESIDENT AS INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBER WITHOUT NECESSARILY FEEL LIKE I WAS OBLIGATED TO RESPOND BECAUSE THE ENTIRE BOARD KNEW THAT THERE WAS AN ISSUE THAT WAS OF CONCERN THAT WAS GOING TO BE ONE PERSON SPEAKING FOR THE ENTIRE BOARD.

THAT WAS ONE OF THE CONSTRAINTS THAT AS A BOARD MEMBER, IT ALLOWED FOR ACCOUNTABILITY TO BE MAINTAINED.

>> GREAT.

>> ALONG THOSE LINES. I DON'T REALLY SEE IT HERE LISTED HERE IS REALLY OUR TRAININGS.

>> OR OUR CONTINUING EDUCATION IT'S DONE [OVERLAPPING].

>> IT'S UNDER BOARD MEMBER REQUIRED TRAINING IS UP THERE AND THAT WOULD FALL INTO THAT.

BUT I THINK THAT ONE THING THAT'S NOT THERE IS NEW BOARD MEMBER ONBOARDING.

LSG HAD A PROCESS THAT THEY DID IT RIGHT.

YOU WENT THERE AND THEY DID IT.

AS YOU CREATING SOMETIMES BEFORE YOU CAN MEASURE SOMETHING, YOU'D HAVE TO CREATE THE PROCESS.

A BOARD GO COULD BE CREATE AN ONBOARDING PROCESS AND THEN AFTER THAT YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE MEASURE IS AND THEN YOU CAN PUT THE MEASURE IN THERE.

AM I MAKING SENSE WITH THAT?

>> YEAH.

>> I THINK SO.

>> AGAIN, IT'S A CHALLENGE TO ME IN MY MIND OF HOW WOULD WE MEASURE THAT?

>> WELL, THERE WILL BE A WAY THAT IT'S DONE, THAT THE HOURS ARE ACCOMPLISHED.

THEN IT MAY BE A SURVEY OF NEW BOARD MEMBER SURVEY OF THE SATISFACTION OF THE ONBOARDING PROCESS.

I MEAN, IT COULD BE NINE, IT COULD BE TWO, IT CAN BE FOUR.

I DON'T KNOW THAT THAT SURVEY NUMBER MIGHT BE A GOOD WAY TO DO IT, BUT THERE ARE WAYS.

>> I AGREE.

>> BUT I THINK THAT THAT'S SOMETHING THAT THE BOARD HAS TO WORK ON TO CREATE WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE.

YOU HAVE LOTS OF GOOD TEMPLATES THAT YOU CAN START WITH.

WE'RE ACTIVELY WORKING.

>> ONE THING THAT I LOOK AT THIS AND I DON'T KNOW HOW IT FITS IN.

BUT WHEN YOU TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT WHAT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE SCHOOL BOARD AND USING THE FRAMEWORK IS OBVIOUSLY THE PLACE TO GO.

BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION INSTEAD THEY EXPECT FROM US AND ALL OF THAT.

BUT ONE OF THE THINGS WHEN I LOOKED AT THAT, LIKE WE DO TALK ABOUT THE SUPERINTENDENT GOALS AND STUFF LIKE THAT IS EXACTLY HOW BUDGET FITS IN THERE, BUDGET PRIORITIES.

I MEAN, OBVIOUSLY, WE TRUST THIS SUPERINTENDENT TO TAKE OUR KEY STRATEGIC MEASURES.

[01:05:02]

I MEAN, YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH AND SO YOU HAVE TO ALLOCATE YOUR BUDGET IN SUCH A WAY TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN AND THEN WE HAVE TO APPROVE THAT.

BUT I'M JUST THINKING OUT LOUD A LITTLE BIT.

IF THERE SHOULDN'T BE SOMETHING BUDGET RELATED SOMEWHERE.

>> I THINK THAT THAT'S A GREAT IDEA BECAUSE I'M GOING TO TELL YOU THAT YOU GOT SEVERAL MEMBERS OF YOUR ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF HERE.

BUT WHEN THE BOARD SAYS THIS IS IMPORTANT TO US AND IT'S SO IMPORTANT, WE'RE GOING TO PUT IT ON OUR SCORECARD, IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT.

>> IT COULD BE A SOUP GOAL RIGHT? OR IT COULD JUST BE UNDER PROGRESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY.

IT COULD BE THE MEASURE THAT SAYS WE'RE SO MUCH PERCENT OR WE'VE NOT EXCEEDED.

[OVERLAPPING] I WAS NEVER IN THE FINANCE DEPARTMENT.

YOUR FINANCE PERSON CAN COME UP WITH A REALLY GOOD GALLON AND IT'S PROBABLY ONE IS ALREADY ON YOUR DISTRICT SCORECARD.

YOU JUST MAY SAY, I WANT THAT NOT ONLY ON THE DISTRICT SCORECARD, I WANT THAT ON OUR SCORECARD.

>> BECAUSE I DO THINK IT NEEDS TO BE REPORTED ON THE BOARD SCHOOL SCORECARD BECAUSE ULTIMATELY, WE ARE THE ONES THAT ARE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DEFICITS IN ANYTHING.

>> WHAT DOES THAT LOOK LIKE ON THE DISTRICT SCORECARD?

>> WHAT'S THE WORD?

>> THE WORDING FOR FINANCE.

YOU CAN LOOK IT UP REAL QUICK.

>> YOU CAN ALSO PHONE A FRIEND.

>> YEAH.

>> WHICH ONE?

>> I FOUND IT TODAY ON THE WEBSITE.

>> NO PLEASURE.

>> YEAH. BUT YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT.

THERE'S NO REASON LIKE 1.1 THROUGH 1.4 IS ON THE DISTRICT SCORECARD.

YOU MIGHT LOOK AND SAY, THIS HAS BEEN A SPOT IN THE DISTRICT THAT WE WANT WE WANT MORE FREQUENT REPORTS ON IT.

WE WANT TO KNOW HOW IT'S GOING AND THAT'S ONE OF OUR DUTIES IS TO PASS THE BUDGET.

HERE'S WHAT IT IS. YOUR DUTY SUPERINTENDENT EVALUATION IS YOU'RE GOING TO DO THAT THROUGH HER GO.

>> I LOVE THESE MEETINGS WHERE I CAN JUST THROW IT OUT AND THEN I DIDN'T HAVE TO COME BACK AND DEFINE IT. [LAUGHTER].

>> WOW.

>> WELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH KAREN.

>> JUST THROW THAT OUT THERE FOR YOU.

>> DID YOU FIND IT?

>> THE THREE BUSINESS AND FINANCE THAT ARE ON THE WHOLE DISTRICTS WHO ARE CARTER HIGHEST RATING ON FIRST CLEAN FINANCIAL AUDIT AND PERCENT PAYROLL ISSUED ACCURATELY ON TIME.

THE RESERVE AND THAT TYPE OF STUFF IS WITHIN THEIR OWN SCORECARD.

>> BUT YOU MIGHT LOOK AT THAT.

>> YEAH.

>> WELL, AND THERE IS A SUPERINTENDENT CONSTRAINT THAT'S CURRENTLY OUT THERE.

THAT'S RELATED TO FUND BALANCE AND SCHOOLS OF CHOICE.

>> SCHOOLS OF CHOICE.

>> THAT COULD FIT ITSELF WITH THAT.

>> I JUST ENCOURAGE US TO CONTINUE TO LOOK AT THAT BECAUSE I DON'T THINK SCHOOL FINANCE IS GETTING ANY EASIER FOR ANYBODY.

>> MS. NEWSOME, AS PRESIDENT, MY ADVICE TO YOU IS TO GET A SUBCOMMITTEE OF THE BOARD.

THREE, THAT CAN TAKE ALL THE INPUT AND THAT CAN BRING A STRAW MAN.

IN THE NEXT MEETING WHERE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THIS IS JUNE THE?

>> SEVENTH.

>> THE SEVENTH AND BRING A DRAFT SCORECARD THAT REFLECTS WHAT WAS SAID TONIGHT AND THEN ANYONE CAN ADD TO IT.

I THINK THAT THAT'S.

>> HAVE A STARTING POINT.

>> I THINK THAT THAT WOULD GET YOU GOING FOR THE SEVENTH THAT YOU COULD REALLY LOOK IN AND GET A SCORECARD GOING.

ANYMORE COMMENTS ABOUT THE SCORECARD, DR. KEN TOO ANY THOUGHTS FROM YOU?

>> NO, I THINK WE'RE GOOD RIGHT NOW.

>> I KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO SPEND A LOT OF TIME THINKING ABOUT THIS, BUT WHEN TEA CHANGED THINGS PRETTY DRASTICALLY ON US WHEN WE HAD OUR ORIGINAL VISION 2020 SCORECARD, WE CAME BACK AND ASKED THE BOARD TO CHANGE A MEASURE ON THE SCORECARD.

THAT WAS NOT SOMETHING WE WANTED TO DO.

BUT MY POINT IS THAT WHEN IT'S ON THE SCORECARD, IT'S THERE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME.

I WOULD JUST CAUTION ABOUT THINGS LIKE WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE LEGISLATORS GOING TO DO.

HAVING TO TIDE OF A MEASURE ON SAY, FINANCE OR TOO TIDE OF A MEASURE ON A PARTICULAR STUDENT OUTCOME GOAL THEY CAN CHANGE THE TICKS TOMORROW.

WE SAW WITH 45, 45 THINGS CHANGE IN AUGUST.

JUST WHEN YOU DO IT LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM.

HERE, THE BOARD IT'S EASIER FOR YOU TO CHANGE THE SCORECARD THAN IT IS FOR STAFF CHANGES THE SCORECARD.

[LAUGHTER] JUST LEAVE A LITTLE BIT OF ENOUGH ROOM SO THAT THERE'S SOME FLEXIBILITY THERE.

>> I THINK SOMEONE WHO IN THEIR DAY JOB WRITES A LOT OF POLICY.

YOU NEVER WRITE YOURSELF INTO A POLICY WHERE YOU CAN NEVER BE SUCCESSFUL.

YOU SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS WITH POLICY AND TO BE THE GUARD RAILS IN IT.

I THINK THEY GO ABOUT IT IN THAT SAME THOUGHT PROCESS AND WE'LL HAVE A GOOD OUTCOME.

[01:10:05]

>> NEXT STEPS.

I THINK THAT LET ME LOOK TO SEE.

WE TALKED ABOUT BOARD GOALS.

WE HAVE ONE, RIGHT?

>> YEAH.

>> CONSENSUS WITH THAT AND QUITE POSSIBLY.

WAS THERE A SECOND ONE?

>> NO.

>> WELL, I KNOW IT FELL DOWN OFF [LAUGHTER].

>> WE DID HAVE ONE THAT WAS CLOSE. RIGHT?

>> YEAH. THERE WAS ONE. THE ONE WE SELECTED ALL OF US PICKED THAT ONE.

>> YEAH.

>> WE'LL TAKE A PICTURE BEFORE WE LEAVE.

>> [OVERLAPPING].

>> WHAT'S THE OTHER ONE?

>> THANK YOU.

>> THIS ONE HAD FIVE VERSUS THE OTHER ONE THAT HAD SIX.

IT'S ANNUALLY EVALUATE ITS PERFORMANCE AS A TEAM WITH ATTENTION GIVEN TO THE DISTRICT'S VISION AND GOALS, FULFILLING THE BOARD'S DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND COMMITMENTS, AND THE BOARD'S WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH THE SUPERINTENDENT.

>> THAT'S THAT.

>> THAT'S IS THE SCORECARD. [OVERLAPPING]

>> YEAH.

>> IT MIGHT BE MERRIAM WEBSTER, RIGHT? I DON'T KNOW.

>> WITH DR. SCOTT, IS THERE ANOTHER ONE THAT HAS GOT A NUMBER OF VOTES THAT WE MAY WANT TO CONSIDER?

>> THERE IS. THERE'S ONE WITH FOUR, SO WE GO 6, 5, 4 AND THEN IT DROPS DOWN TO TWO.

IT IS ENSURE THE EQUITABLE DISTRIBUTION OF RESOURCES, OPPORTUNITIES, AND EXPERIENCES BASED ON THE DIVERSE NEEDS OF STUDENTS IN SCHOOLS.

>> WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

>> I'M GOING TO ECHO SOME OF MR. SMITH'S THOUGHTS EARLIER.

I THINK THAT IF THIS BOARD CAN GET A SCORECARD PUT TOGETHER MEASURES AND ALL OF THAT, AND GET THAT DONE WITHIN SIX MONTHS, LIVE INTO THAT FOR ANOTHER SIX MONTHS, THEN YOU MIGHT BE READY TO TAKE ON ANOTHER CHALLENGE.

>> IT NEEDS TO BE DOCUMENTED WHAT THOSE THREE WERE IN YOUR NOTES, THE THREE AND THE FOUR.

>> I GOT IT. BECAUSE I DO THINK THAT THERE'S GOING TO BE SOME GROWING PAINTS AND SOME LEARNING THAT'S GOING TO COME OUT OF THIS, MAKING SURE THAT YOU'VE GOT THE RIGHT METRICS AND THAT STUFF.

I THINK THAT THAT'S A GOOD STARTING POINT.

>> YEAH. I DON'T WANT TO OVERWHELM US WITH THIS BECAUSE WHAT WE LEARNED FROM LSG WAS AN IMMENSE AMOUNT OF THINGS, BUT WE ALSO LEARNED SOME CHALLENGES AND HOW WE HAD TO FAIR AND NAVIGATE SOME OF THOSE THINGS AND WHERE WE HAD TO STAND UP AND ASK FOR CHANGES THAT DIDN'T FIT US, AND I THINK THAT WAS SOME OF OUR CHALLENGES WITH LSG.

NOT THAT WE COULDN'T CONSIDER IT TOO, BUT I DO THINK THAT WE'D BE BITING OFF PLENTY WITH ONE.

>> I AGREE. LET'S START WITH ONE.

>> I THINK THE SOONEST YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT THAT IS MAYBE 6-9 MONTHS OUT.

BUT I WOULD CERTAINLY MAKE SURE WE GET THIS PROCESS STOOD UP AND WORKING WELL BEFORE YOU START ADDING TOO MUCH TO IT.

>> ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY WE'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH?

>> NO, I'M JUST SAYING [LAUGHTER] THAT THERE'S NOT EVER ENOUGH TIME TO GET THINGS DONE, BUT YOU WOULD KNOCK OUT TWO OF THE TOP TWO PRIORITIES IF YOU CAN GET THIS UP AND RUNNING WELL.

>> YEAH, BECAUSE TO ME, NUMBER 2 IS THE SCORECARD.

I BELIEVE WE ALMOST KNOCKED OUT NUMBER 3 WITH NUMBER 1.

>> WITH THE CADENCE OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND AGAIN, YOU CAN SEE THAT THAT'S BESIDE IT.

WHAT YOU'RE ASKING, WHAT YOU'RE DOING, WHAT YOUR ONE GOAL IS IS THAT YOU HAVE JULIE THAT WILL HELP WITH THAT.

WHAT YOU'RE DOING THAT'S GOING TO BE ON 1.1 THROUGH 1.4 IS WHAT THE DISTRICT IS ALREADY DOING.

THEY'RE NOT HAVING TO CREATE A SEPARATE REPORT FOR YOU.

THEY'RE GOING TO BE REPORTING ON THAT FOR YOU.

THEN ONCE YOU GET THE SCORECARD, YOU'VE GOT TO JUST SAY THIS IS AT THE END, HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT OUR CHECKPOINTS TO KNOW THAT WE'RE GOING TO REACH IT AND WHAT ARE THOSE MEASURES? THAT IS WHAT GOES ON YOUR DASHBOARD THAT'S PART OF YOUR CADENCE OF ACCOUNTABILITY.

>> I LOVE IT.

>> JUST LIKE THE OTHER PART.

BOARD GOALS, I THINK THAT WE GET IT DOWN AND THEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, AND YOU SAY, ''I KNOW WE SAID WE WANT ONE BUT I REALLY WANT THIS OTHER ONE SO BRING IT BACK.'' THE BOARD SCORECARD I REALLY THINK THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE A SUB-COMMITTEE THAT'S GOING TO MEET, THAT GETS ALL THESE IDEAS DOWN, THAT GETS IT ON ONE PAGE THAT CAN BRING IT AS A DRAFT NEXT TIME AND SAY DID WE REFLECT, DID WE GET EVERYONE WHAT EVERYONE THOUGHT OR NOT? THEN THAT BOARD BELIEVES SO WE CAN START THAT. YES, SIR.

>> MS. TEIGEN ON THE SCORECARD WHEN YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THIS, SO THIS WOULD BE SUBCOMMITTEES OF BULLET MEMBERS,

[01:15:04]

AND WOULD WE'D BE WORKING WITH ADMINISTRATION OR CONSULTANT TO FINE TUNE WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR OR HOPING FOR.

>> YES, SIR. YOU HAVE A CONSULTANT, IF YOU'D LIKE FOR HER TO COME BACK.

[LAUGHTER] SHE WOULD LOVE TO COME BACK.

SHE LOVES WORKING WITH YOU GUYS.

THEN I THINK THAT DR. CANTU SHE SAYS HER OR SHE SAYS DR. SCOTT.

HE HAS THAT BASELINE KNOWLEDGE OF ALL THIS.

HE'S LIVED IT FOR A LONG TIME THAT CAN HELP WITH WRITING THOSE MEASURES.

IT NEEDS TO BE YOUR WORDS, YOUR WORK, BUT SOMEONE ELSE GET IT ALL DONE SO THAT NEXT TIME WHEN WE MEET YOU HAVE A PIECE OF PAPER THAT YOU CAN SAY HERE IT IS.

I HOPE IT'S NOT A FULL PAGE.

>> OUTSTANDING.

>> YEAH. THEN NEXT STEPS THAT BOARD BELIEFS.

ANY QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, CONCERNS, THOUGHTS, IDEAS ABOUT THAT PROCESS? I'M GOING TO PUT IT BACK UP.

>> RIGHT THERE.

>> RIGHT THERE. THE BOARD'S IMPROVEMENT PROCESS.

>> I THINK MY FIRST COMMENT IS WHEN I FIRST SEE THAT I RECOGNIZE THAT RIGHT SIDE OF THAT SLIDE LIKE THE BACK OF MY HAND BEING A BOARD MEMBER.

FOR ME TO HAVE MY OWN PART IN THAT SEEMS SUPER LOGICAL AND THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE AND ABOUT HOW IT COMES TOGETHER AND HOW IT MIMICS WHAT WE'RE DOING INSIDE THE DISTRICT AS WELL.

>> I WORK WITH LOTS OF DISTRICTS, I'LL SAY THAT AND LOTS OF BOARDS AND THERE ARE FEW THAT ARE AT THE MATURITY LEVEL TO DO THIS THAT YOU GUYS ARE.

>> I HAVE ONE COMMENT I WANT TO MAKE VERY MUCH LIKE OUR IMPROVEMENT PROCESSES PART OF OUR BOARD POLICY.

I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT ONCE WE ESTABLISH THE BOARD GOALS, THE SCORECARD, BOARD BELIEFS, AND ALL OF THAT, I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT OUR POLICY GETS UPDATED TOO.

I THINK THAT WAS AN UNDERLYING CURRENT, BUT I JUST WANTED TO VERBALIZE THAT WE WANT TO PUT THIS IN POLICY.

>> I KNOW THAT THE DISTRICTS IMPROVING PROCESSES IN IE LOCAL, WE NEED TO SEE IF THAT'S THE APPROPRIATE THESIS OR IF THERE'S SOMETHING IN B THAT IT'S A MORE APPROPRIATE PLACE, I DON'T KNOW.

I'VE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT.

>> WE'LL FIGURE THAT OUT.

>> OH, I THOUGHT YOU WERE APPLYING THAT.

LOOK AT ME. [LAUGHTER]

>> NO. I SAID TO SOMEONE THE OTHER DAY, IF YOU WANT THIS PROCESS, THE REASON WITH THAT, THAT IT WENT INTO BOARD POLICY IS THAT IT'S NOT GOING TO GO AWAY.

YOU'VE SAID AS A BOARD, THIS IS IMPORTANT, DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT, YOU BETTER DO THIS.

IT CAN'T FADE AWAY AND I THINK THAT THAT WAS VERY SMART OF YOU.

I JUST DON'T KNOW WE'D GO.

>> BUT IT'S LIKE KITTENS OF ACCOUNTABILITY.

IT'S SECOND NATURE TO ALL OF US.

IT'S SECOND NATURE TO PRINCIPALS AND ADMINISTRATION.

IT'S HOW WE DIGEST ALL THE INFORMATION.

I CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE BEING A BOARD MEMBER AND TAKING IN ALL THE DATA AND REPORTS IF THERE WASN'T SOMETHING LIKE CADENCE OF ACCOUNTABILITY TO HELP ME UNDERSTAND AND NAVIGATE THROUGH WHAT IT IS AND TO TELL THE STORY.

AS A BOARD, WE HAVE TO BE ABLE TO TELL OUR STORY TOO.

>> THE OTHER THING THAT I WANTED TO SAY TOO A LONG THE LINES TILLMAN STORY, SO WE WANTED TO IMPLEMENT THIS IN POLICY.

BUT THE OTHER THING IS ADVOCACY IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WAS ON THERE THAT PEOPLE FELT LIKE WE COULD STRENGTHEN ON.

THAT'S ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I'VE REALLY WORKED ON AS A FOCUS AS A BOARD MEMBER.

I WOULD ENCOURAGE ONCE THIS PROCESS IS IN PLACE, POLICY IS WRITTEN, YOU NEED TO GO ON THE SHOW.

YOU ALL NEED TO PRESENT THIS AT SLI.

YOU NEED TO PRESENT IT AT TECH SAID CON.

YOU NEED TO SHOW THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION HOW YOU ARE USING THEIR FRAMEWORK AND IMPLEMENTING IT.

YOU NEED TO GET IN FRONT OF MIKE WRATH AND HIS STAFF AND EXPLAIN TO THEM WHY WE HAD TO DEVIATE FROM LONE STAR GOVERNANCE.

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO SHARE THIS BECAUSE THIS COULD BE HELPFUL FOR OTHER DISTRICTS THAT COULD HELP OTHER COMMUNITIES MORE ACTIVELY ENGAGE [OVERLAPPING] OUTCOMES.

>> HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE BOARD MENTOR PROGRAM AS WELL? I THINK THAT'S SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T HAVE SPENT A LOT OF TIME IN CONVERSATION.

THEN I WOULD SAY MR. DAVIS AS WELL WE SPENT A LOT OF TIME TALKING ABOUT HOW TO TRY TO DO THOSE THINGS.

I REALLY THINK THAT THEIR VALUE OF IT IS NOT EVEN JUST FOR US.

>> I JUST WANT TO REMIND YOU ALL THAT, THAT'S HOW WE GOT INVOLVED WITH LONE STAR GOVERNANCE.

IT WAS THROUGH A EMAIL THAT I SENT TO SOMEBODY I DIDN'T KNOW AND JUST SAID, ''HEY, THESE ARE MY THOUGHTS, CAN YOU TELL ME MORE BECAUSE I WAS SUPER INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU HAD TO SAY.

[01:20:01]

THAT STARTED A CONVERSATION THAT LED TO A LOT OF DIFFERENT THINGS.

I ENCOURAGE YOU ALL TO JUST TAKE THE BRAVE STEP TO REACH OUT TO SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO OFFER.

I ENCOURAGE YOU TO SHARE IT WITH EVERYONE IN THE STATE OF TEXAS.

>> YEAH, WE DEFINITELY HAVE A STORY.

[LAUGHTER] MR. DAVIS, ANY COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, CONCERNS, THOUGHTS?

>> NO. THIS HAS BEEN A GOOD TIME SPENT.

I AGREE THAT I THINK IT'S REASONABLE FOR THE BOARD TO HAVE A SET OF OBJECTIVES AND A FLOW LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IN THE DISTRICT.

IT MEANS WE'RE SPEAKING THE SAME LANGUAGE AND WE'RE IN IT TOGETHER AS A SHARED RESPONSIBILITY.

I THINK IT'S REASONABLE IF IT COMES TO MIND, FAIR ALSO COMES TO MIND.

I LOVE THE IDEA THAT I THINK IT ALSO GIVES US A FOCUSED WAY OF COMMUNICATING WITH OUR COMMUNITY OF WHAT OUR ROLE IS, AND HOW WE'RE DUTIFULLY WORKING OUR WAY TO BE GOOD AT ACHIEVING THOSE GOALS FOR LACK OF A BETTER PHRASING.

OUR GOAL IS TO BE GOOD, BETTER THAN GOOD.

THIS GIVES US A ROADMAP TO DO THAT.

IT'S NOT AS NEBULOUS AS WITHOUT HAVING ANY TYPE OF GOVERNANCE AND IT'S NOT AS RESTRICTIVE AS LONE STAR.

I THINK THIS IS A GREAT STEP.

>> MR. SNEED, ANY COMMENTS?

>> I DO AGREE WITH THE BOARD GOALS.

I DO RECOGNIZE THAT SOME OF THE CURRENT BOARD MEMBERS ARE GOING TO BE OFF THE BOARD AND THERE ARE GOING TO BE SOME INCOMING BOARD MEMBERS.

THEIR GOALS MAY NOT BE THE SAME AS WHAT WAS MENTIONED TONIGHT, BUT I DO BELIEVE THAT THE FRAMEWORK THAT WAS ESTABLISHED TONIGHT IS A GOOD STARTING POINT.

I THINK ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I HAVE VALUED AS A BOARD MEMBER OVER THE YEARS IS THE COLLECTIVE DIALOGUE AND TRYING TO REACH CONSENSUS AND TRYING TO HOLD YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE AND RESPONSIBLE AS AN INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBER, BUT AS A GROUP.

I WOULD JUST SAY THE DIALOGUE THAT WE STARTED TONIGHT IS GOOD AND I WOULD HOPE THAT IT WILL CONTINUE BECAUSE WE'RE SO FAMILIAR WITH THIS RIGHT NOW AND WE'VE SEEN IT FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS.

IT'S EASY FOR US BECAUSE WE'VE SEEN IT FOR A NUMBER YEARS, BUT THE INCOMING BOARD MEMBERS, THIS IS GOING TO BE NEW AND I THINK THAT THAT TRAINING IS GOING TO BE SO INVALUABLE TO HELP THEM TO BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT'S BEEN WORKING WELL WITH THE DISTRICT, AND AS A BOARD, WE SHOULD HAVE THAT SAME OPPORTUNITY OURSELVES TO SHOW THAT WE ARE ONE SYSTEM AND I JUST WANT TO SAY I'VE THOROUGHLY ENJOYED MY TIME WITH ALL THE BOARD MEMBERS AND THE THINGS THAT THEY'VE GIVEN ME TO HELP ME TO BETTER UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS OF WORKING AS ONE SO AND HOW THAT APPRECIATES YOUR, MS. DEAN, I'M SORRY.

>> ALWAYS, HALLIE.

>> I APPRECIATE YOUR LEADERSHIP AND HAPPENED TO GUIDE US AS A BOARD BECAUSE YOU BRING A LOT TO THE TABLE FOR ALL OF US TO BE ABLE TO CONSIDER.

WITH THAT, I'LL JUST SAY THAT'S ENOUGH.

>> THANK YOU. MS. MARCUCCI, DO YOU HAVE COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, CONCERNS?

>> I SAID SO MANY COMMENTS. I THINK WE'RE GOOD.

>> NO CONCERNS. JUST A COMMENT.

JUST AGAIN, EXPRESSING MY APPRECIATION TO YOU.

I KNOW YOU PUT A LOT OF WORK INTO THIS AND WORKING WITH MYSELF AND DR. SCOTT AS WE'VE TALKED THROUGH SOME OF THESE THINGS AND JUST THE ALIGNMENT OF THE SYSTEM SO THAT WE CONTINUE TO SHARE THAT RESPONSIBILITY AND WORK TOGETHER AS A COHESIVE TEAM.

I'M REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THAT DIRECTION AND THE CLARITY THAT IT ALSO PROVIDES FOR US AS AN ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU, BOARD.

>> IT'S SO EASY TO WORK WITH YOU, HALLIE AND IT FEELS LIKE CHEATING.

>> WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TALKED ABOUT EACH OTHER.

>> EACH OTHER. BUT THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WE'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT AND WANTING TO WORK THROUGH, AND WITH THE ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM FOR SUCH A LONG TIME.

WORKING THROUGH LSG HELPED US TO TELL OUR STORY AND HELPED US TO FIGURE OUT THAT WE WANTED SOMETHING BETTER AND SO I THINK THE REASON WHY THIS SEEMS SO GREAT FOR US RIGHT NOW, LIKE A FLOWER BLOSSOMING IS BECAUSE WE'VE BEEN WAITING AND WE'VE BEEN WATERING THIS FLOWER FOR SUCH A LONG TIME AND YOU

[01:25:02]

WERE ABLE TO ARTICULATE HOW WE COULD COME TOGETHER BETTER WITH ADMINISTRATION AND THE BOARD AS ONE AS WELL.

THANK YOU FOR THAT BECAUSE IT WAS REALLY HELPFUL FOR US AND YOUR SLIDES AS ALWAYS ARE ON POINT.

THANK YOU, NICE COMMENTS.

>> I JUST THINK THIS IS GOING TO FIT OUR NEED MORE THAN LONE STAR GOVERNANCE, AND I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS SCORECARD, AND I THINK IT WILL HELP JUST OUR COMMUNITY UNDERSTAND WHERE OUR FOCUSES AS A BOARD TO BECAUSE IT'LL BE LAID OUT AND I THINK IT'LL BE LAID OUT VERY SMOOTHLY.

IT'S GOING TO BE EASY TO SEE.

I'M EXCITED BECAUSE I THINK IT IS GOING TO PUT US ON THE MAP AND LET KAREN SHIT SAID, THERE ARE A LOT OF SCHOOL DISTRICTS THAT ARE STRUGGLING WITH THIS.

THEY'RE VERY FRUSTRATED WITH LONE STAR GOVERNANCE BECAUSE THEY'VE OUTGROWN IT AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHERE ELSE TO GO.

AGAIN, I THINK MANSFIELD IS A LITTLE BIT ABOVE THE BAR HERE.

I THINK THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WE SHOULD SHARE AND TAKE AND ADVOCATE WITH BECAUSE IT WOULD HELP SO MANY OTHER SCHOOL DISTRICTS.

SO I'M EXCITED, SO THANK YOU AGAIN.

>> DR. SCOTT, ANY COMMENTS FROM OBSERVING IT?

>> JUST VERY EXCITED ABOUT THE ALIGNMENT AS DR. CANTU SAID.

THAT SIDE YOU HAD WITH THE TWO SETS OF ARROWS GO IN THE SAME DIRECTION.

>> THAT WAS SLIDE NUMBER 3.

>> REALLY ILLUSTRATED ALL THE CONVERSATIONS THAT WE'VE HAD OVER THE YEARS THAT THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH LONE STAR GOVERNANCE.

IT WAS VERY GOOD, BUT IT WAS AN ADDITIONAL SYSTEM TO WHAT WE WERE ALREADY DOING AND SO I'M VERY HAPPY THAT THE BOARD TOOK THAT JOURNEY AND NOW IS READY TO TAKE THIS NEXT STEP BECAUSE I THINK IT REALLY FITS BECAUSE WHEN WE'RE NOT IN ALIGNMENT, WE'RE TAKING EXTRA STEPS IN ORDER TO BRING IT BACK OVER INTO ALIGNMENT TO MAKE IT LOOK THE SAME, AND WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT THE MR. DAVIS IS ALWAYS CONCERNED, AND THANK YOU, ABOUT THE TOLL ON THE STAFF, THAT'S WHERE YOU FEEL THE TOLL BECAUSE THIS IS OUR CALLING AND WE DON'T MIND DOING THE WORK AND WE DON'T MIND HOWEVER LONG IT TAKES, BUT WHEN YOU FEEL YOU'RE DOING THINGS THAT ARE EXTRA TO GET THERE, THAT BECOMES YOU'RE JUST, OH, WE COULD DO SO MUCH MORE IF WE DIDN'T HAVE TO STEP OUT OF LINE AND GET THIS.

THIS JUST REALLY BRINGS THAT ALL ALTOGETHER IN ONE THING AND I'M VERY GRATEFUL THAT WE'RE AT THE POINT WHERE WE ARE NOW.

>> IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD. BUT LOOK AT THAT JOURNEY, THAT'S HUGE.

THAT IS A HUGE JOURNEY AND THERE ARE ORGANIZATIONS WHO NEVER GO BEYOND THE FIRST OR THE SECOND STEP AND TO GET TO THAT LAST ONE.

>> IT'S NOT A CRITICISM, IT'S JUST THE JOURNEY THAT WE WERE ON AND I'M JUST GRATEFUL THAT WE ARE WHERE WE ARE.

>> GO AHEAD. SORRY.

>> I JUST WANTED TO SAY ONE THING, I THINK WE'RE ALL A TEAM HERE AND WE'RE IN THIS POSITION BECAUSE WE'RE A TEAM.

WHEN WE DECIDED THAT THIS LONE STAR GOVERNANCE WASN'T WORKING, OUR ADMINISTRATION DIDN'T JUST SAY THIS IS TOO MUCH, WE'RE NOT DOING IT, YOU'RE DONE.

THEY CAME AND THEY FIGURED OUT A DIFFERENT WAY BECAUSE THEY KNEW THIS WAS IMPORTANT TO OUR BOARD TO CARRY FORWARD.

I APPRECIATE THAT FORETHOUGHT AND GOING FORWARD AND NOT JUST GIVING UP ON US AND SAYING AND RECOGNIZING THAT THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WAS VERY IMPORTANT FOR US AND WORKING TOGETHER.

NOT ALL SCHOOL DISTRICTS HAVE THAT.

AND THEY DON'T WORK THAT WELL WITH THE BOARD, WITH THE ADMINISTRATION.

WE'VE GOT SOMETHING PRETTY SPECIAL HERE, SO THANK YOU, GUYS.

>> I WANT TO ADD SOMETHING IF I MAY, HALLIE.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> AND IT IS ABOUT LONE STAR GOVERNANCE.

IT WAS NECESSARY.

IT WAS IMPORTANT.

IT ALLOWED US TO SEE AS A DISTRICT WHERE WE WERE COMPARED WITH WHAT THE STATE WAS OFFERING.

BUT I WOULD ALSO SAY I WANT TO ECHO WHAT KAREN SAID AND MICHELLE, PERHAPS OTHERS WE NEED TO TAKE WHAT WE'RE DOING AND INTRODUCE IT TO OTHER DISTRICTS ACROSS THE STATE.

IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD OF A PROCESS, AND SO OPPORTUNITIES TO SHARE AT TASSP CONFERENCE, T-A-S-S-P WHEREVER I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT THAT AS BOARD MEMBERS THAT WE TAKE THE TIME TO SHARE OUR BEST PRACTICE WITH OTHER BOYS THAT ARE REALLY STRUGGLING TO GET TO THAT LEVEL.

I THINK WE HAVE ENOUGH TO TELL THEM AND SHARE WITH THEM,

[01:30:03]

THIS IS WHAT WE WENT THROUGH AND I THINK IT'D BE A GREAT PROCESS FOR THE DISTRICT.

>> I DON'T THINK WE WOULD'VE GOTTEN AS MUCH OUT HAD BEEN IN A DIFFERENT PLACE AND GONE THROUGH THAT JOURNEY OF LONE STAR GOVERNANCE, WE WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN THAT SAME RESULTS.

STARTING WHERE WE WERE, BUT GOING THROUGH LONE STAR GOVERNANCE ALLOWED US TO REALLY HAVE THOSE BREAKTHROUGH MOMENT AND TAKEAWAYS AND STUFF.

I THINK THE FACT, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WAS THE BEST PART OF IT WAS WE DIDN'T TAKE THIS JOURNEY ALONE.

WE TOOK IT WITH THIS TEAM.

THIS WAS EVERYBODY WITH US THERE.

WE WENT THROUGH, WE HEARD THE SAME THINGS, WE FELT THE SAME THINGS, AND IT WAS EASIER TO TALK THE SAME LANGUAGE.

>> COMMITMENTS FROM TONIGHT.

BEGINNING IN MEETINGS WITH COMMITMENTS.

JUNE THE 7TH IS SCHEDULED.

YOU'RE GOING TO GET A SUBCOMMITTEE THAT CAN WORK WITH DR. CANTU AND DR. SCOTT.

>> GOT IT.

>> THE CONSULTANT POSSIBLY TO COME UP WITH A DRAFT OF THE SCORE CARD.

ARE YOU STILL USING PLAN ON A PAGE, DR. SCOTT? THERE WILL BE A BOARD PLAN ON A PAGE THAT WE CAN FILL OUT AND GET IT DONE AND PUT UP THERE WITH WHAT THE WORK THAT'S BEEN DONE SO FAR.

THAT'S A COMMITMENT.

>> BELIEFS SOLELY, I THINK.

>> BELIEFS. I WANT YOU TO START THINKING ABOUT AS A BOARD.

THIS IS WHAT WE BELIEVE.

AT FIRST, I THOUGHT I WASN'T GOING TO GIVE EXAMPLES, BUT I THINK I'LL GIVE YOU SOME EXAMPLES THAT YOU CAN SAY, I THINK I HAVE FIVE DIFFERENT DISTRICTS, EXAMPLES THAT I'LL GIVE.

IT'S THE VALUES, BUT IT'S SPECIFICALLY FOR THE BOARD.

I'LL BRING YOU SOME EXAMPLES ON THAT AND WE'LL DO SOME WORK WITH THAT.

BUT I THINK THAT IF YOU LOOK AT THAT, IT'S A PRETTY AGGRESSIVE TIMELINE, MAY NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE IT ALL.

>> SOMETHING THAT WE MAY HAVE TO MAKE A FEW TWEAKS.

>> YES.

>> HERE AND THERE?

>> YES.

>> YES. ABSOLUTELY. BUT LIKE I SAID, IT IS VERY AGGRESSIVE.

>> HOLLY, CAN WE ADD JUST A CONVERSATION ABOUT THAT TO THE JUNE 7TH MEETING?

>> YES.

>> TO SEE ABOUT MAKING SOME ADJUSTMENTS?

>> YES. I'LL BRING IT BACK IF THEY'RE NEEDED.

>> YOU MENTIONED OFFERING US SOME EXAMPLES OF MAYBE SOME THINGS THAT ARE IN PLACE THAT ARE GOOD.

IF YOU COULD MAYBE OFFER SOME EXAMPLES OF THINGS THAT ARE MAYBE NOT SO GOOD, [LAUGHTER] AND REASONS WHY THEY'RE NOT GOOD.

BECAUSE I MAY THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA.

IT MAY BE SOME LEGAL PRECEDENT ABOUT WHY IS THAT A GOOD IDEA, [LAUGHTER] OR THERE MIGHT BE SOME INHERENT DANGER OF ME THINKING IT IS GOOD AND THAT MAY TAKE US AWAY FROM WHERE WE NEED TO BE, AND MAYBE WE CAN HAVE SOME LESSONS LEARNED FROM SOME OTHER FOLKS AS WELL.

>> RIGHT. THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF HAVING CONSULTANT COME IN BECAUSE I DON'T WORK ON A DAILY BASIS WITH YOU GUYS.

I CAN SAY SOME THINGS THAT I WOULD NEVER HAVE SAID TO YOU THREE YEARS AGO.

BUT I CAN AND I DON'T KNOW ANY OTHER WAY THAN TO JUST BE COMPLETELY HONEST, BUT LET ME TALK.

SOME OF YOUR CONSTRAINTS MIGHT FIT THEMSELVES INTO A BELIEF.

WHEN WE ARE IN TOGETHER AS A GROUP, WE WILL GIVE OUR UNDIVIDED ATTENTION.

THEN HOW DOES THAT LOOK? WE'RE GOING PUT OUR CELL PHONES AWAY, WE'RE GOING TO DO THIS, WE'RE GOING TO COME PREPARED FOR THE MEETINGS.

WE'RE GOING TO READ OUR BOARD AGENDA.

WE'RE GOING TO ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE.

THAT'S A BELIEF THAT AS A BOARD MEMBER, WE OWE IT TO EACH OTHER, THAT WE'RE GOING TO COME TO THE MEETINGS PREPARED, AND WE'RE GOING TO STAY ENGAGED WHILE WE'RE THERE.

>> I WOULD SAY TOO THAT WHATEVER THOUGHTS PEOPLE HAVE, THERE ARE NO BAD THOUGHTS.

>> NO.

>> THEY'RE ARE JUST THOUGHTS.

I'M TRYING TO THINK OF AN EXAMPLE, BUT I CAN'T THINK OF ONE OBSERVED OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD OR ANYTHING, BUT I THINK THAT WE CAN REFINE THE THOUGHTS.

IF I WANTED TO SAY, IT REALLY BUGS ME WHEN DR. CANTU DOESN'T TREAT ALL ANIMALS WITH RESPECT AND SHE JUST FLICKS [LAUGHTER] A BUG. [OVERLAPPING]

>> I'M SEEING HER DOG AND HER CAT, YEAH IS THAT REALLY AN ANIMAL?

>> [OVERLAPPING] BUT IF THAT'S MY BELIEF, THAT MAY NOT BE THE BEST WAY TO PRESENT THAT BELIEF, BUT THAT'S MY BELIEF.

AS A BOARD, I'D LIKE FOR US TO HONOR THAT, SO WE CAN WORK THROUGH IT TOGETHER AS A BOARD.

THAT'S MY THOUGHT RIGHT NOW IS THAT, I DON'T WANT ANYBODY TO RESTRICT THEIR BELIEFS AND THEIR THOUGHTS, BUT WE CAN CERTAINLY REFINE THEM.

>> YEAH. THERE ARE FOLKS THAT ARE GREAT IDEAL GENERATORS IN THERE.

[01:35:06]

FOLKS WHO ARE GREAT AT CONDENSING THOSE IDEAS AND PUTTING THEM DOWN ON PAPER.

I'M NOT THE ONE WHO PUTS THEM DOWN ON PAPER, I'LL SPEW AND SPEW.

>> BUT THAT GUY RIGHT THERE, HE'S GREAT.

>> YEAH, HE IS [LAUGHTER].

ANYWAY, SO COMMITMENTS ARE JUNE THE 7TH, WE'RE GOING TO GET A GROUP TOGETHER BEFORE THEN TO LOOK AND BRING A DRAFT SCORECARD, YOU'RE GOING TO BE THINKING ABOUT BELIEFS AND WHAT THOSE MIGHT BE.

I'M GOING TO SEND THIS POWERPOINT TO DR. CANTU AND SHE'S GOING TO SHARE IT WITH YOU GUYS.

>> IS ALL I GOT.

>> DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER COMMITMENTS WE HAVE BEFORE NEXT TIME?

>> I DON'T BELIEVE SO.

>> OKAY. I'M DONE.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH, HOLLY TEAGUE.

>> WELL, IT WAS ALL GOOD.

[APPLAUSE]

>> LET ME GET BACK TO MY FILE SPOT HERE.

[3. Closed Session (Part 2 of 2)]

WE WILL NOW RE-ADJOURN INTO CLOSED SESSION.

THE TIME IS 9:20.

WILL MEET YOU GUYS BACK THERE IN FIVE MINUTES.

WE WILL RECONVENE AT 11:27 BACK INTO OPEN SESSION.

[4. Reconvene (Part 2 of 2)]

BUT SEEING THAT THERE'S NO OTHER BUSINESS AT THIS TIME, WE WILL ALSO ADJOURN THIS MEETING AT 11:27.

THANK YOU FOR ATTENDING THE BOARD MEETING THIS EVENING. GOODNIGHT.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.